WestchesterTowns.com Westchester Towns
Westchester Towns WestchesterTowns.com
        

Mamaroneck

Westchester County

Zip: 10543

NY Times
New York Tonight: Hoboken Train Crash and Wet Weather

Hoboken Train Crash Leaves at Least One Dead and Dozens Injured

How to Get Home After the Hoboken Train Crash

Chaos at Hoboken Station After Train ‘Flew Through the Air’

‘Mr. Wolf’ Sought to Fix Bridge Scandal, Ex-Christie Ally Testifies

Fire Dept. Chief Killed in Bronx Blast Is Recalled as Family Man and ‘Rising Star’

Oral Nicholas Hillary Acquitted in Potsdam Boy’s Killing

2 Men Who Found Unexploded Bomb in Chelsea Are Identified

Death of 6-Year-Old Boy in Harlem Raises Questions for Child Welfare Agency

Party Coverage: Scene City: Fall Brings Operas, Harvest Festivals and a Bounty of Galas

‘Beethoven’s Wig’ Combines Classical Music With Seussian Whimsy

New Jersey Train Briefing

Hungry City: At Joy Luck Palace, Dim Sum Amid the Chaos

Scene of New Jersey Train Crash

Train Crashes Into New Jersey Station

The Hunt: A Dog-Friendly Co-op in Sunset Park, Brooklyn

Thought of the Day
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet. Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it be morrow.

Yesterday's Thought Was
Wisdom outweighs any wealth.
By Sophocles  496 BCE - 406 BCE

Greek tragic dramatist and one of the great playwrights of the golden age of Greek Drama.


 Mamaroneck Dance | Classical Ballet | Contemporary Ballet  Dance | Classical Ballet | Contemporary Ballet

 

 Mamaroneck, NY 10543 Demographics  Demographics for Mamaroneck

 

 Mamaroneck Local Organizations  Local Organizations

 

 Mamaroneck Listings  Mamaroneck listings

 

 Downloadable Audiobooks Adult Programs Internet Classes e-Audiobooks Reading Lists Children Storytimes RIF Reading is Fundamental Tumblebooks  Mamaroneck Public Library

914-698-1250  

 Mamaroneck Movies | Movie Theaters | Cinema  Movies | Movie Theaters | Cinema

 

 Mamaroneck MTA Metro-North | Train Stations  MTA Metro-North | Train Stations

 

 Mamaroneck Municipalities | Cities, Towns, Villages  Municipalities | Cities, Towns, Villages

 

 Mamaroneck Parks | Local and State  Parks | Local and State

 

 Mamaroneck Pharmacy | Drug Stores | Drugstores  Pharmacy | Drug Stores | Drugstores

 

 Mamaroneck Police Departments / Sherriff's Offices  Police Departments / Sherriff's Offices

 

 Mamaroneck Post Offices  Post Offices

 

 Mamaroneck, NY 10543 Restaurants  Restaurants in Mamaroneck

 

 Mamaroneck School Districts | Public Schools  School Districts | Public Schools

 

 Mamaroneck Senior Clubs | Activities for Seniors  Senior Clubs | Activities for Seniors

 

 Mamaroneck Theater 'Live' Performances and Concerts  Theater 'Live' Performances and Concerts

 
 


Mamaroneck
Westchester County
Hudson Valley

History of Mamaroneck
"The Village of Mamaroneck was incorporated in 1895. Residents on either side of the Mamaroneck River realized that the growing community needed services to develop from a rural farming community to a healthy commercial village. In 1890, they realized a new village must be incorporated joining the two areas surrounding the River. The problem with incorporating a new village was that the residents lived in two towns, the Town of Mamaroneck and the Town of Rye. The area, located in the Town of Rye, is known as Rye Neck."

About Mamaroneck
"Slowly the new Village came into its own, its population growing from about 1,500 in 1895, when it was a small farming community, to just under 19,000 for the 2000 census. Today the Village is primarily a residential community on Long Island Sound with a major inland harbor and facilities to build and service pleasure boating. Mamaroneck Avenue and Boston Post Road are the main commercial areas. A light industrial area is located along Fenimore Road. The Village comprises 6.7 sq. miles of area of which 3.5 miles are lands under water, approximately 9 miles of coastline, and 55 miles of roads (about 120 lane-miles of roads), including State and County owned roads . . .

"Heathcote Hill is situated on the hill overlooking the harbor, developed since incorporation; The Heights, at the north eastern corner of the Village, developed in the 1920's; Old Rye Neck area, with older homes built in the 1880's along Barry and Melbourne Avenues; further east in Rye Neck, neighborhoods developed in the 1920's and 1930's; first developed before the Civil War, the Washingtonville area, which is also known as “The Flats” because of being surrounded by higher ground.

"The railroad first came through the Village in 1848 servicing riders from New York City to Connecticut and is now the New Haven line of Metro North. The enclosed harbor with its beautiful park is a treasure to the community and used by residents to participate in sports or relax and enjoy the view of the harbor and its surroundings. In early May when over 150 Japanese cherry trees are in bloom, the harbor park is at its finest.

"Mamaroneck, with its population of people from all over the world, is known as The Friendly Village - A place for all to enjoy living in a community that welcomes different cultures and appreciates their differences."

"History and About Mamaroneck" is sourced from Village of Mamaroneck New York.

History And Antiquities, Compiled 1841
The following covers "History and Antiquities", a general collection of interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, and anecdotes about Westchester County and its towns. When reading the following, keep in mind that this information was compiled from papers written about two hundred years ago and compiled in 1841. Population statistics and events have not been revised to reflect current events and perspective. We think this adds to the historical flavor and interest of the writings, giving a different perspective on much of this information and written in an "older world" writing style.

    Mamaroneck
    "Mamaroneck has a hilly surface and the township is generally under good cultivation. Pop. 1,416. The village of Mamaroneck is about 24 miles from New York, and 161 from Albany. It is situated on a bay about one mile from the sound, which admits vessels of 100 tons burden. The village contains 2 churches, 2 cotton factories, and about 50 dwellings."

    Source "Historical Collections of the State of New York , Published by S. Tuttle, 194 Chatham-Square, 1841

History of Mamaroneck, Published 1886
When reading the following, keep in mind that this information was written many years ago. Population statistics and events have not been revised to reflect current events and perspective. We think this adds to the historical flavor and interest of the writings, giving a different perspective on "history" and written in an "old world" writing style.

    Mamaroneck
    "It will be remembered that John Richbell's original purchase from the Indians of what is now the Township of Mamaroneck - a purchase confirmed to him at the time by the Dutch authorities, and later by the English governor, Lovelace - comprised three necks on the Sound between the Mamaroneck River and Thomas Pell's lands, and that the interior extension of the purchase was twenty miles northward "into the woods". Of the three necks, called the East, Middle, and West Necks, the first was deeded by Richbell to his mother-in-law, Margery Parsons, and by her immediately conveyed to his wife, Ann; but the latter two were mortgaged and finally lost to Richbell's estate. These Middle and West Necks, with their prolongation into the interior, formed a triangular tract of land owned by several persons, which lay wedge-shaped between the Manor of Pelham, at the southwest, and what later became the Manor of Scarsdale, at the northeast. The East Neck, terminating at the mouth of the Old Guion Place, New Rochelle. Mamaroneck River, continued to be the property of Mrs. Richbell until its sale by her to Caleb Heathcote, in 1697. It formed the nucleus of Scarsdale Manor, erected in 1701. It is of interest, before coming to the period of Heathcote's proprietorship, to glance at the origin of the village of Mamaroneck, which we have omitted to do in our account of Richbell's connection with this section.

    "Soon after procuring his English patent (1668), John Richbell and his wife set apart for the purpose of allotments, or house lots, a strip of land running from the Mamaroneck River westward along the harbor shore, and fronting on the old Westchester path. These lots were eight in number: one he reserved for himself, one he deeded as a gift to John Basset (1669), and the others he leased or sold. Among the purchasers was Henry Disbrough, or Disbrow, in 1676, who the next year erected on his lot the famous Disbrow house. Travelers along the Boston Post Road may still see, on the western outskirts of Mamaroneck, a stone chimney, all that remains of this structure. The ruin is remarkable for its great size, giving an idea of the enormous fireplaces in use at the time when the house was built. It is said that the Disbrow house is one of the landmarks described by James Fenimore Cooper (who lived in Mamaroneck) in the "Spy", and that a secret cupboard in the chimney served as a hiding place for Harvey Birch, the hero of that story. The strip devoted by Richbell to the Mamaroneck house lots was called "Richbell's two-mile bounds," from the fact that each lot ran two miles "northwards into the woods". Such was the beginning of the venerable village of Mamaroneck. For many years, however, only a very few settlers lived there, and in an instrument drawn as late as 1707, by "the freeholders of Mamaroneck" in common, the names of only eight persons appear as signers.

    "Just before his death John Richbell was engaged in a controversy with the townspeople of Rye concerning the ownership of a tract called by the Indians Quaroppas, which had already become known among the whites as "the White Plains". This land was unquestionably embraced within the limits of Richbell's original purchase, described as running northward twenty miles into the woods; but in 1683 the people of Rye bought the same White Plains district from the Indians claiming its proprietorship. At that time the New York and Connecticut boundary agreement of 1664 was still in force, whereby the dividing line between the two provinces started at the mouth of the Mamaroneck River and ran north-northwest.

    "Under the then existing boundary division, therefore, Rye was still a part of Connecticut, and, moreover, the White Plains tract also fell on the Connecticut side. This circumstance, strengthened by the incorporating of it within the Rye limits while the old boundary understanding still prevailed, enabled the Rye men to advance plausible pretensions to it when, very soon afterward (in fact, only six days subsequently), a new boundary line was fixed, beginning at the mouth of the Byram River, which gave both the White Plains and Rye to New York. The claim set up by Rye to the White Plains caused Richbell's title in the upward reaches of his twenty mile patent to assume a decidedly cloudy aspect; and to the confusion thus brought about was due the comparatively limited range of the bounds of the Manor of Scarsdale, which otherwise would have run twenty miles north from the mouth of the Mamaroneck River, instead of stopping short at the White Plains."

    Source: History of Westchester County: New York, Including Morrisania, Kings Bridge, and West Farms, which Have Been Annexed to New York City, John Thomas Scharf, Editor John Thomas Scharf, Publisher L. E. Preston & co., 1886.

History of Mamaroneck, Compiled 1940

    "Mamaroneck (47 alt., 13,012 pop.),
    Mamaroneck was settled by English farmers about 1650. Factories producing woolen cloth, perfume oils, and motor oils provide local employment for some of the residents, but the majority commute to work in New York City. Seven yacht clubs have private basins along the jagged shore line of the village. The De Lancey Manor House, 404 W. Post Road, known in its heyday as Heathcote Hill, is now a gas station and restaurant; this was the ancestral home of the De Lanceys and in it James Fenimore Cooper married Susan A. De Lancey in 1811. The couple lived here for a time after the wedding. The building, which has been altered and enlarged, was bought at auction for $11 and moved to this place from its original position overlooking the Sound.

    "Colonel Caleb Heathcote, lord of the Manor of Scarsdale, wrote in 1704: 'Westchester - the most rude and heathenish country I ever saw in my life, which call themselves Christian; there being not so much as the least marks or footsteps of religion of any sort; Sundays being the only time set apart by them for all manner of vain sports and lewd diversion . . . '

    "Southwest of Mamaroneck the Post Road passes large estates. Ethel Barrymore, James Montgomery Flagg, and Robert 'Believe It or Not' Ripley live near by."

    Source: Excerpts from "New York, A Guide to the Empire State" , Compiled by workers of the Writer's Program of the Work Projects Administration in the State of New York, 1940 Albany

About Mamaroneck Today
There are many things to do in and around Mamaroneck. Learn about activities, attractions, and places to go, in or near Mamaroneck. For great theatre enjoy the Emelin Theatre in Mamaroneck; with several productions for children. When its time to eat, select a place to eat from the many excellent restaurants in Mamaroneck. For something fun to do this weekend in Mamaroneck and Westchester County, check out the wonderful parks in Mamaroneck and greater Westchester, New York.



Top of Page