WestchesterTowns.com Westchester Towns
Westchester Towns WestchesterTowns.com

Westchester County

Town History

 All Amawalk Listings10501, history, about amawalk, things to do in and around amawalk, parks in somers, golf courses in somers, antique stores in and about somers, gardens at  lasdon park arboretum, cradle of the american circus, northern westchester  featured listings  

 Amawalk Town History

IBM Pepsi PepsiCo New York City Reservoir Hachaliah Bailey Cradle of American Circus Croton Muscoot Rivers African Elephant Mount Zion Church Wright-Reis Homestead Point of Interest | Westchester Amawalk History (Somers)

914-277-3637 
  Amawalk is one of five communities in the Town of Somers. The other communities are Baldwin Place, Granite Springs, Lincolndale, and Shenorock. The Town of Somers is located in the northern part of Westchester County, NY. Amawalk History  (Somers) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Ardsley Listings10502, history, about ardsley, about activities, attractions, things to do, places to go, hiking in ardsley, biking in ardsley, picnic in ardsley, great hunger memorial, children, town of ardsley, kids, children, golf courses in westchester  featured listings  

 Ardsley Town History

Weckquaesgeek Indian Mohican tribe Algonquin nation Philipse Manor American Revolution  Ashford Post Office sawmill gristmill River Civil War patriot Putnam Railroad New Croton Aqueduct General Washington Count de Rochambeau French Army Point of Interest | Westchester Ardsley History

914-632-6900 
  The Town of Ardsley is located in the municipality of Ardsley in the southwestern part of Westchester County, NY. The Village of Ardsley was originally inhabited by the Weckquaesgeek Indians, a branch of the Mohican tribe of the Algonquin nation. By the late 1600's, the land became part of the vast Philipse Manor. During the Revolution, Philipse remained loyal to the King and was forced to flee. His land was confiscated by the State and sold mostly to former tenants who had supported the patriot cause. The Village, then called Ashford, grew slowly. Ardsley History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Armonk Listings10504, history, about armonk, kensico reservoir, american revolution, smiths tavern, museum, activities, attractions, things to do, places to go, parks in armonk, antique shops in armonk, outdoor activities in armonk, kids on a picnic, revolutionary war  featured listings  

 Armonk Town History

10504, religious persecution, Mohican people, American Revolution, neutral territory, patriotic, Revolutionary War, Battle of White Plains, General George Washington's, turning point in the war, Continental Army, Points of Interest, Underground Railroad | Westchester Armonk History (North Castle)

914-273-3001 
  Battles of the American Revolution
Battle atop Chatterton Hill in White Plains
Date: October 28, 1776
Between: British against the American Continental Army
Location: White Plains, New York Armonk History  (North Castle) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Baldwin Place Listings10505, history, about baldwin, somers historical society, activities, attractions, things to do, places to go, parks in baldwin, golf courses in baldwin, antiques stores in baldwin, northern westchester county, hiking in northern westchester, biking  featured listings  

 Baldwin Place Town History

IBM Pepsi PepsiCo New York City Reservoir Hachaliah Bailey Cradle of American Circus Croton Muscoot Rivers African Elephant Mount Zion Church Wright-Reis Homestead Point of Interest | Westchester Baldwin Place History (Somers)

914-277-3637 
  Baldwin Place is one of five communities in the Town of Somers. The other communities are Amawalk, Granite Springs, Lincolndale, and Shenorock. The Town of Somers is located in the northern part of Westchester County, NY. Baldwin Place History  (Somers) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Banksville Listings10506, history about, hamlet of banksville, eastern part of westchester, about banksville, activities, attractions, things to do, parks near banksville, golf courses, antique shops, outdoor activities, fishing in wampus pond park, kids on a picnic  featured listings  

 Banksville Town History

10506, religious persecution, Mohican people, American Revolution, neutral territory, patriotic, Revolutionary War, Battle of White Plains, General George Washington's, turning point in the war, Continental Army, Points of Interest, Underground Railroad | Westchester Banksville History (North Castle)

914-273-3001 
  Banksville is located in the Town of North Castle in the eastern part of Westchester County, NY. The Town of North Castle comprises approximately 26 square miles and is situated at the narrow waist of Westchester County. The bulk of the Town's land area lies north of this corner, but the most densely populated part of the town lies to the south. The Kensico Reservoir separates these two parts of North Castle. The Town of North Castle is divided into three distinct geographic areas: North White Plains, Armonk, and the Eastern District, the hamlet of Banksville. Banksville History  (North Castle) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Bedford Hills Listings10507, history of bedford, bedford station, police department, history, about bedford hills, ward pound ridge reservation, local parks, kids, bedford hills park, rosaforte park, playground, swimming pools, winter activities, ice skating  featured listings  

 Bedford Hills Town History

station correctional facility | Westchester Bedford Hills History

914-234-9751 
  The hamlets of Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, and Katonah comprise the municipality of Bedford. Bedford is located in the northeastern part of Westchester County, NY. Bedford Hills History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Bedford Village Listings10506, hamlets, bedford hills, bedford village, katonah, history of bedford, about bedford village, bedford village memorial park, biking, hiking, fishing, ward pound ridge reservation,  largest park, fun day, out with the kids, historic sites  featured listings  

 Bedford Village Town History

Bedford Village Court House oldest Westchester County Government Building historic landmark Historical Society museum museums Bedford-Historical-Society | Westchester Bedford Historic Courthouse c1787

914-234-9751 
  The Bedford Historic Courthouse c1787 is located in Bedford Village. The Court House is the oldest Westchester County Government Building and one of only three Court Houses in New York State built before 1800. It is Bedford's historic landmark of the days from 1788 to 1870 when Bedford was a county seat more populous than White Plains. The Court House was restored once in 1889 and again between 1965 and 1970 when its Court Room was returned to its original dignity. The Bedford Museum is housed on the second floor. The Town owns the building and the Historical Society maintains the interior and operates the museums that are open to the public from May to October. Press blue button for the Bedford Historical Society and more historic properties. Bedford Historic Courthouse c1787 | Westchester  website and more . . .

General Store c1838 Bedford Village Old Burying Ground Bedford Historical Society historic properties | Westchester Bedford Historic General Store c1838

914-234-9751 
  The General Store c1838 is located in Bedford Village. Country store, post office and for many years an antique shop, this small building stood originally on Pound Ridge Road. It was moved to its current site next to the Old Burying Ground in 1890. Purchased by the Bedford Historical Society in 1968, it is currently leased to Travel Trends and G. Henschel, Architects. Press blue button for more information about the Bedford Historical Society and its historic properties. Bedford Historic General Store c1838 | Westchester  website and more . . .

Bedford-Historical-Hall Bedford-Historical-Society historic properties | Westchester Bedford Historic Hall c1806

914-234-9751 
  Click to enlarge photo of Bedford Historic Hall.

Click to enlarge photo of Bedford Historic Hall Bedford Historic Hall is located in Bedford Village. Bedford Historic Hall was moved to its present site in 1837 by twenty yoke of oxen. Historical Hall was the impetus for the founding of the Bedford Historical Society. In 1916, a group of citizens purchased the building to preserve it and prevent it from being turned into a tenement. It has been improved and maintained by the Society ever since and is used for private parties, meetings and exhibitions. Bedford Historic Hall c1806 | Westchester  website and more . . .

Jackson House c1857 Bedford Village Court House Bedford Station Bedford Hills Bedford Historical Society historic properties | Westchester Bedford Historic Jackson House c1857

914-234-9751 
  The Jackson House c1857 is located in Bedford Village. The corner property on Court Road was purchased by the Society in 1946 to protect the adjacent Court House. Built by George W. Jackson, the house was owned in the 1860's and 1870's by the town's livery stable proprietor, Cyrus K. Saunders, who also ran the stage to Bedford Station, now Bedford Hills. In 1998, the original building underwent extensive structural and cosmetic renovations; in 2001, the annex was restored and in 2006, the two interior spaces were reconnected. The building is currently leased to Wendy's Closet, a women's clothing store. Press blue button for more information about the Bedford Historical Society and its historic properties. Bedford Historic Jackson House c1857 | Westchester  website and more . . .

Bedford Historic Library c1807 Bedford-Village Bedford-Academy Historical Society Bedford-Free-Library Bedford-Historical-Society properties | Westchester Bedford Historic Library c1807

914-234-9751 
  The Bedford Historic Library c1807 is located in Bedford Village. Until 1902, this was the Bedford Academy, one of Westchester's first classical schools. The Corporation of Bedford Academy gave the building to the Historical Society in 1972. It is currently leased for $1 a year to the Bedford Free Library who is responsible for its maintenance. Press blue button for more information about the Bedford Historical Society and its historic properties. Bedford Historic Library c1807 | Westchester  website and more . . .

Lounsbery Building c1906 Bedford Village Greek Revival Bedford Historical Society historic properties | Westchester Bedford Historic Lounsbery Building c1906

914-234-9751 
  The Lounsbery Building c1906 is located in Bedford Village. Also of Greek Revival style, the store adjoining the Post Office was put up by Richard P. Lounsbery to replace a nearby one that had been burned down. It was the village A & P for many years. In 1972, it was purchased by the Society who maintains its offices on the second floor. The ground floor is currently leased to the Horse Connection. Press blue button for more information about the Bedford Historical Society and its historic properties. Bedford Historic Lounsbery Building c1906 | Westchester  website and more . . .

Bedford Post Office, Bedford Village, Greek Revival, Post Office, Bedford Historical Society, c1838,  historic properties | Westchester Bedford Historic Post Office c1838

914-234-9751 
  Click to enlarge photo of Bedford Post Office.

Click to enlarge photo of Bedford Post Office The Post Office c1838 is located in Bedford Village. An example of Greek Revival style, the Post Office was originally a harness shop. It has been the village Post Office since around 1900. It first stood next to the Library but was moved in 1930 to make room for the Fire House. It was purchased in 1972 by the Society and enlarged in 1975 so that the Post Office could remain in the village. Bedford Historic Post Office c1838 | Westchester  website and more . . .

Bedford Village Stone Jug Museum Court House Bedford Historical Society historic properties | Westchester Bedford Historic School House c1829

914-234-9751 
  Click to enlarge photo of Old School House in Bedford Village.

Click to enlarge photo of Bedford School House The School House c1829 is located in Bedford Village. This small stone building on the Green, often called the Stone Jug, was the village school from 1829 to 1912. From 1913 to 1969 it housed the Bedford Museum which was moved to the second floor of the renovated Court House. The School House was then restored to its original use as a 19th century one-room school. It is open to the public from May to October. Bedford Historic School House c1829 | Westchester  website and more . . .

Bedford-Historical-Society historic Town Village Green Bedford's history historic-buildings museumshistorical tours exhibits | Westchester Bedford Historical Society

914-234-9751 
  The Bedford Historical Society is a non-profit, educational institution committed to preserving our historic Town and original Village Green, to educating students of all ages in Bedford's unique history and to interpreting our collections for the benefit of residents and visitors alike. Bedford Historical Society | Westchester  website and more . . .

photo, photo of Sutton Clock Tower, Sutton Clock Tower, country home in Bedford, Town of Bedford, Historical Society, historic properties | Westchester Bedford Sutton Clock Tower

914-234-9751 
  Click to enlarge photo of Sutton Clock Tower.

Click to enlarge photo of Sutton Clock Tower. At the comer of Guard Hill and Succabone Roads stands a tall, handsome brick tower which is a landmark and a source of joy and some amusement to the townspeople. This is the famous Sutton Clock Tower, and this is the story behind it. Bedford Sutton Clock Tower | Westchester  website and more . . .

Hills Village Katonah King William Green Court House  British burned Revolution Historic District National Register Places burying ground Colonial | Westchester Bedford Village History

914-234-9751 
  The hamlets of Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, and Katonah comprise the municipality of Bedford. Bedford is located in the northeastern part of Westchester County, NY. Bedford Village History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Briarcliff Manor Listings10510, history, about briarcliff, village of briarcliff manor, activities, attractions, things to do, hudson river, golf at westchester golf courses, best golf courses in the country, antique shops, antique dealers, outdoor activities, fishing, picnic  featured listings  

 Briarcliff Manor Town History

Briarcliff Manor

914-941-4800 
  Briarcliff Manor is located in the municipality of Briarcliff Manor in the central western part of Westchester County, NY. To the east of the Village of Ossining lay an area called Whitson’s Corners. It was settled during the 19th century. On November 21, 1902, it was officially incorporated as the Village of Briarcliff Manor. The population at that time was 331 residents. Briarcliff Manor | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Bronxville Listings10708, history, about bronxville, around bronxville, activities, attractions, places to go, things to do this weekend, parks near bronxville, golf courses bronxville, antique shops, bronxville, biking at bronx river pathway, hiking westchester  featured listings  

 Bronxville Town History

Underhill Crossing Morgan Kraft Harlem Railroad | Westchester Bronxville History

914-337-6500 
  Bronxville is located in the southern part of Westchester County, NY. Local Indian tribes deeded this region to British colonists in 1666. The earliest settlers are believed to be the Underhill and Morgan families who arrived here in the first half of the 18th century. Both families farmed and tended orchards. The Underhills also established the first local factory. Manufacturing was part of the Bronxville scene for almost two centuries, until 1922 when the last factory, the Kraft leather tannery, vanished in a spectacular blaze. It was almost a century after the arrival of the Underhills and Morgans before the next modest influx of settlers would make their mark. Alexander Masterton, a prosperous stonecutter from Scotland, was lured by quarries of fine white marble that were discovered in nearby Tuckahoe in 1822. Bronxville History | Westchester  website and more . . .

East Chester Anne Hutchinson Eastchester Covenant Revolutionary War Marble Capital of the World Tuckahoe Marble Dutch Schultz American golf champions U.S. Open  national Treeture Environmental Education Program Points of Interest | Westchester Bronxville History (Eastchester)

914-771-3300 
  The Town of Eastchester, which includes the incorporated villages of Bronxville and Tuckahoe, is about 5 miles south of White Plains and 20 miles north of New York City. Eastchester covers an area of 3.26 square miles. Bronxville History (Eastchester) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Buchanan Listings10511, history, town of cortlandt, village of buchanan, things to do, places to go, around buchanan, activities, attractions, state parks in cortlandt, golf, bergstol golf courses, antique shops, find antiques, outdoor activities, fishing  featured listings  

 Buchanan Town History

Croton-on-Hudson Buchanan Manor Crompond Crugers Montrose Verplanck Lake Peekskill Mohegan Lake Hendrick Hudson River in 1609 Half Moon Verplanck’s Point  American Revolution Philip Van Cortlandt Point of Interest | Westchester Buchanan History (Cortlandt)

914-734-1002 
  The Town of Cortlandt is located in the northwestern corner of Westchester County, NY. It includes two incorporated villages, Croton-on-Hudson and Buchanan. Cortlandt also includes several hamlets: Cortlandt Manor, Crompond, Crugers, Montrose and Verplanck, Lake Peekskill and a section of Mohegan Lake. The rural character of the town is defined by the Hudson River, New York City Watershed Lands, numerous wooded hills and steep slopes, wetland areas and beautiful streams. Buchanan History (Cortlandt) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Cortlandt Listings10567, croton-on-hudson, buchanan, crugers, verplanck, montrose, cortlandt manor, lake peekskill, mohegan lake, history, things to do, places to go, activities, attractions, biking, kids, croton point park, wine cellars, revolutionary war  featured listings  

 Cortlandt Town History

Croton-on-Hudson Buchanan Cortlandt Manor Crompond Crugers Montrose Verplanck Lake Peekskill Mohegan Lake
Verplanck’s Verplancks Point of Interest Revolutionary War Watch Hill Furnace Dock Road Township Act Philip Van Cortlandt Federal housing program | Westchester Cortlandt Manor History (Cortlandt)

914-734-1002 
  The Town of Cortlandt is located in the northwestern corner of Westchester County, NY. It includes two incorporated villages, Croton-on-Hudson and Buchanan. Cortlandt also includes several hamlets: Cortlandt Manor, Crompond, Crugers, Montrose and Verplanck, Lake Peekskill and a section of Mohegan Lake. The rural character of the town is defined by the Hudson River, New York City Watershed Lands, numerous wooded hills and steep slopes, wetland areas and beautiful streams. Cortlandt Manor History  (Cortlandt) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Crompond Listings10517,history, about crompond, hendrick hudson, things to do, activities, attractions, parks in crompond, play golf, golf courses, antiques, outdoor activities, fishing in cortlandt, biking, kids on a picnic,  park in the northwest, mta to peekskill  featured listings  

 Crompond Town History

Croton-on-Hudson Buchanan Cortlandt Manor Crompond Crugers Montrose Verplanck Lake Peekskill Mohegan Lake
Verplanck’s Verplancks Point of Interest Revolutionary War Watch Hill Furnace Dock Road Township Act Philip Van Cortlandt Federal housing programs | Westchester Crompond History (Cortlandt)

914-734-1002 
  The Town of Cortlandt is located in the northwestern corner of Westchester County, NY. It includes two incorporated villages, Croton-on-Hudson and Buchanan. Cortlandt also includes several hamlets: Cortlandt Manor, Crompond, Crugers, Montrose and Verplanck, Lake Peekskill and a section of Mohegan Lake. The rural character of the town is defined by the Hudson River, New York City Watershed Lands, numerous wooded hills and steep slopes, wetland areas and beautiful streams. Crompond History  (Cortlandt) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Croton-on-Hudson Listings10520, village of croton-on-hudson, history, croton landing, croton and new croton dams, new croton aqueduct, croton dam, about croton-on-hudson, activities, attractions, things to do, places to go, fishing, children, kids, picnic at a croton-on-hudson  featured listings  

 Croton-on-Hudson Town History

Kitchawanc Wappinger Algonquin Senasqua Indian Kenoten Point Van Cortlandt Manor Village Dams Aqueduct Clifford Harmon Station Mount Airy Quaker Poet Edna St. Vincent Millay Gloria Swanson Isadora Duncan American Communist Mary Pickford Douglas Fairbanks | Westchester Croton-on-Hudson History

914-734-1000 
  Croton-on-Hudson is located in the northern part of Westchester County, NY and runs along eight miles of Hudson River shoreline. Situated at the confluence of the Croton and Hudson Rivers, the topography of the Village affords dramatic views of Haverstraw Bay and the Croton River Gorge. Beautiful vistas, riverfront parks and extensive wooded areas characterize this picturesque and historic Village. Croton-on-Hudson History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Crugers Listings10521, history, about, things to do, around crugers, outdoor activities, attractions,  play golf, golf courses, fishing in cortlandt, biking in crugers, kids, picnic areas in crugers, children, walk, biking, hiking, northwestern westchester  featured listings  

 Crugers Town History

Croton-on-Hudson Buchanan Cortlandt Manor Crompond Crugers Montrose Verplanck Lake Peekskill Mohegan Lake
Verplanck’s Verplancks Point of Interest Revolutionary War Watch Hill Furnace Dock Road Township Act Philip Van Cortlandt Federal housing programs | Westchester Crugers History (Cortlandt)

914-734-1002 
  The Town of Cortlandt is located in the northwestern corner of Westchester County, NY. It includes two incorporated villages, Croton-on-Hudson and Buchanan. Cortlandt also includes several hamlets: Cortlandt Manor, Crompond, Crugers, Montrose and Verplanck, Lake Peekskill and a section of Mohegan Lake. The rural character of the town is defined by the Hudson River, New York City Watershed Lands, numerous wooded hills and steep slopes, wetland areas and beautiful streams. Crugers History  (Cortlandt) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Dobbs Ferry Listings10522, history, river towns, river town, hudson river, hudson river valley, south, southern, southwest, southwestern, hudson river, hudson river valley  featured listings  

 Dobbs Ferry Town History

Weckquaesgeek Indians Mohican tribe Algonquin nation Dutch settlements Dutch West India Company 

Philipse Manor Sneden's Landing  British fleet General George Washington Comte de Rochambeau Battle of Yorktown  Old Croton Aqueduct State Historic Park | Westchester Dobbs Ferry History

914-693-2203 
  Dobbs Ferry is a charming historic town located along the Hudson River in Westchester County, approximately 20 miles north of New York City. The name of Dobbs Ferry is derived from Jeremiah Dobbs, a fisherman, who in 1698 hollowed out a log and started the first river ferry.

Dobbs Ferry History | Westchester  more . . .
 All Eastchester Listingsabout the town of eastchester, southern westchester county, bronxville, tuckahoe, grand central station, bronxville or tuckahoe stations, town government, eastchester town hall, neighborhoods of eastchester, school district, history  featured listings  

 Eastchester Town History

Laws, Eastchester Covenant, Revolution, battles, Neutral Ground, Historic Events, John Peter Zenger Trial, Town of Eastchester, American Revolution, Bill of Rights, First Amendment, Freedom of the Press, History of Westchester County | Westchester History of the Town of Eastchester

914-771-3300 
  Town of Eastchester
Westchester County
Hudson Valley


The Town of Eastchester is located in southern Westchester County, New York; and includes the incorporated villages of Bronxville and Tuckahoe. Eastchester is approximately 5 miles south of White Plains and 20 miles north of New York City. Eastchester is approximately 3.26 square miles. History of the Town of Eastchester | Westchester  website and more . . .

Historic Zenger Trial, John Peter Zenger, Town of Eastchester, Zenger Trial, American Revolution, Bill of Rights, First Amendment, Freedom of the Press, colonial history of Westchester County, press freedom, Historic Reference | Westchester John Peter Zenger and the Zenger Trial

 
  Historic Zenger Trial
Name: John Peter Zenger
Born: 1697 in Palatinate, Germany
Died: July 28, 1746 in New York


Among the famous people associated with the Town of Eastchester, is John Peter Zenger. Learn about the Zenger Trial and its impact on the American Revolution, and the Bill of Rights, First Amendment relating to Freedom of the Press . John Peter Zenger and the Zenger Trial | Westchester  more . . .
 All Elmsford Listings10523, history of elmsford, about elmsford, things to do, about activities, attractions, places to go, parks in elmsford, something to do this weekend, kids, picnic, golf courses around elmsford, antiquing, antique stores, restaurants in elmsford  featured listings  

 Elmsford Town History

Storm's Bridge Hall's Corners elm tree Revolutionary War cocktail Harvey Birch American spy Revolutionary War

WRW radio station Alexander Hamilton Isaac Van Wart Empire City Racing Association Dollar racehorse thoroughbreds Elms Ford Point of Interest | Westchester Elmsford History

914-592-6555 
  Elmsford was known as Storm's Bridge in the early 1700's and as Hall's Corners during the middle of the nineteenth century. One-mile square, it is midway between White Plains and Tarrytown. Elmsford was named in 1870 for a large elm tree, nearly 30 feet in circumference which had been a landmark since the Revolutionary War. Elmsford History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Granite Springs Listings10527, history, town of  somers, historic buildings, mount zion church, about granite springs, things to do, around granite springs, something to do this weekend, outdoor activities, attractions, family, parks in somers, golf courses, antiques in somers  featured listings  

 Granite Springs Town History

IBM Pepsi PepsiCo New York City Reservoir Hachaliah Bailey Cradle of American Circus Croton Muscoot Rivers African Elephant Mount Zion Church Wright-Reis Homestead Point of Interest | Westchester Granite Springs History (Somers)

914-277-3637 
  Granite Springs is one of five communities in the Town of Somers. The other communities are Amawalk, Baldwin Place, Lincolndale, and Shenorock. The Town of Somers is located in the northern part of Westchester County, NY. Granite Springs History  (Somers) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Hartsdale Listings10530, southwestern, hamlet of hartsdale, history, historical information, about hartsdale, things to do, around hartsdale, activities, attractions, places to go, golf course in hartsdale, parks around greenburgh, time to eat, restaurants in hartsdale  featured listings  

 Hartsdale Town History

Town of Greenburgh, southwestern part of Westchester County, NY, Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Hastings-on-Hudson, Irvington and Tarrytown, Hartsdale, railroad station, post office, American Revolution, historical information, Point of Interest | Westchester Hartsdale in Greenburgh History

914-993-1540 
  The Town of Greenburgh is located in the southwestern part of Westchester County, NY. Greenburgh includes the villages of Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Hastings-on-Hudson, Irvington and Tarrytown. Greenburgh also includes the hamlet of Hartsdale with its railroad station and post office. Approximately 50% of Greenburgh's population resides within the town's six villages. The rest of the population lives in the town of Greenburgh, outside the six villages. Hartsdale in Greenburgh History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Irvington-on-Hudson Listings10533, irvington-on-hudson, about irvington, things to do, about activities, attractions, matthiessen park in irvington, golfer, play golf, restaurants in irvington, southwestern, history of irvington, washington irvington  featured listings  

 Irvington-on-Hudson Town History

10533, Town Government, Irvington Village Hall, Irvington, NY, History of Irvington, About Irvington, things to do in and around Irvington, activities and attractions, one-of-a-kind shops, something to do with the kids this weekend | Westchester About the Village of Irvington-on-Hudson

 
  Irvington-on-Hudson

Click to enlarge picture of "Scenic views from Irvington-on-Hudson".

Scenic views from Irvington-on-Hudson
The Village of Irvington-on-Hudson, also known simply as Irvington, is located in the Town of Greenburgh in southwest Westchester County, New York. Irvington-on-Hudson is one of the beautiful River Towns of Westchester County that borders the Hudson River. It is located only 20 miles north of midtown Manhattan and is served by a Metro-North Train Station making Irvington a desirable place to live and visit.

Irvington shares its western border with the Hudson River, Dobbs Ferry is to the south with the City of White Plains located east of Irvington and Tarrytown-on Hudson to the north. Irvington includes within its boundaries the community of Ardsley-on-Hudson. Ardsley-on-Hudson has its own zip-code and its own Metro-North station.
About the Village of Irvington-on-Hudson | Westchester  photos and more . . .

10533, Town Hall Theater, Irvington, NY, History of the Irvington Town Hall Theater,  exhibits, theater, performance at the Irvington Town Hall Theater, cafes and restaurants in Irvington-on-Hudson | Westchester Irvington Town Hall and Town Hall Theater - History

 
  The Irvington Town Hall Theater is located at 85 Main Street, Irvington, NY 10533 in one of the River Towns of Westchester County.

From Irvington Town Hall Theater: "The Irvington Town Hall Theater (ITHT) presents numerous events throughout the season which runs from Sept-May including concerts, dances, and theatrical productions. Returning Arts Partners include Broadway Training Center of Westchester, Sleepy Hollow Performing Artists, Common Ground, and Resident Theater company Clocktower Players - who has been presenting works at ITHT since the late 70s when they were ITHT, Inc." Irvington Town Hall and Town Hall Theater - History | Westchester  website and more . . .

10533, Irvington Town Hall Theater, Irvington, NY, River Towns of Westchester County, multipurpose concert hall/music theater, Town Hall in downtown Irvington, municipal halls, Children's Theater, Box Office, House Map | Westchester Irvington Town Hall Theater

914-591-6602 
  The Irvington Town Hall Theater is located at 85 Main Street, Irvington, New York 10533. The Irvington Town Hall Theater was built in 1902 in the Classic Revival Style. Designed by A. J. Manning and patterned after the Ford Theater in Washington, DC, the Theater is a multipurpose concert hall/music theater located on the entire third floor of Town Hall in downtown Irvington, New York. The 432-seat theater features an orchestra, mezzanine, balcony and six gold leafed boxes, a proscenium stage and thrust complete with five backstage dressing rooms. Theater patrons sit in intimate ambiance. Gleaming white columns and Ionic capitals set off the warm ivory interior. The walls are wainscoted in warm oak. Victorian chandeliers and sconces were copied from the originals, during the restoration to its original elegance in 1980. A plush red stage curtain and a forty-two foot high skylight complete the setting. Architecturally significant, the Theater is listed on the national Register of Historic Places. Irvington Town Hall Theater | Westchester  website and more . . .

Bissightick Van der Donck Grant Frederick Phillipse Justice John Jay William Dutchers Dutcher Village of Dearman Washington Irvington author The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Rip Van Winkle Louis Comfort Tiffany Irvington Presbyterian Church | Westchester Irvington-on-Hudson History

914-591-7070 
  History of Irvington
"The Village of Irvington was incorporated April 16, 1872. The territory of the village was part of the Bissightick track of the Van der Donck grant purchased by Frederick Phillipse in 1682. In 1817, Justice Dearman bought half of William Dutcher's farm and lived there until 1848 when it was sold to Gustavo F. Sanchi. In the same year, it was sold to John Jay, grandson of Justice John Jay, who arranged for it to be laid out in lots as the Village of Dearman. The lots were sold at public auction in New York City in 1850; the village of Dearman was formed. In 1854, Dearman , by popular vote, changed its name to "Irvington," honoring its beloved citizen, Washington Irvington, author of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle". Works by Louis Comfort Tiffany, who also lived here, can be seen in the town hall, library and the Irvington Presbyterian Church." Source for Irvington Government and History: Irvington Town website Irvington-on-Hudson History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Katonah Listings10536, history, town history, about katonah, activities, attractions, things to do, hamlets, katonah, biking, hiking, fishing, katonah memorial park, antiquing, antique shops in katonah, historic sites, john jay homestead, historic site, children  featured listings  

 Katonah Town History

Hills Village Katonah Connecticut seal King William Historic District State National registers Places Olmstead Victorian architecture New York City watershed Caramoor Katonah Museum of Art John Jay Homestead chief justice United States Supreme Court | Westchester Katonah History

914-232-8387 
  The hamlets of Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, and Katonah comprise the municipality of Bedford. Bedford is located in the northeastern part of Westchester County, NY. Katonah History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Lincolndale Listings10540, history of lincolndale, mohegan tribe, algonquin nation, somers, new york city reservoir,  historic buildings, somers historical society, hachaliah bailey, circus in america, about lincolndale, activities, attractions, things to do, antiques  featured listings  

 Lincolndale Town History

IBM Pepsi PepsiCo New York City Reservoir Hachaliah Bailey Cradle of American Circus Croton Muscoot Rivers African Elephant Mount Zion Church Wright-Reis Homestead Point of Interest | Westchester Lincolndale History (Somers)

914-277-3637 
  Lincolndale is one of five communities in the Town of Somers. The other communities are Amawalk, Baldwin Place, Granite Springs, and Shenorock. The Town of Somers is located in the northern part of Westchester County. Lincolndale History  (Somers) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Maryknoll Listingscentral mid westchester county  featured listings  

 Maryknoll Town History

Sint Sinck Indians Wappinger Confederacy Colonel Frederick Philpse landholdings Manor of Philipsburg Loyalist Revolutionary War Village of Sing Sing Prison Ossining Ossinsing first incorporated village 
Town of Mount Pleasant Sparta Scarborough | Westchester Maryknoll History (Ossining)

914-762-6000 
  Maryknoll is located in the municipality of Ossining in the western part of Westchester County, NY. In 1685, Frederick Philipse bought what later became the Town of Ossining from the Sint Sinck Indians, members of the Wappinger Confederacy. This land formed part of the vast Frederick Philpse landholdings. The Manor of Philipsburg extended from Spuyten Duyvil Creek to the Croton River. All of Colonel Philpse's land was confiscated by the state in 1779 because he was a Loyalist during the Revolutionary War. Subsequently, many former landowners bought their farms from the state. Maryknoll History (Ossining) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Montrose Listings10548, hamlet, town of cortlandt, history of montrose, revolutionary war, history,  about montrose, things to do, places to go, around montrose, activities, attractions, state parks in montrose, fishing, biking, sportsman center, target areas  featured listings  

 Montrose Town History

Croton-on-Hudson Buchanan Philip Van Cortlandt Manor Crompond Crugers Montrose Verplanck Lake Peekskill Mohegan Lake Verplanck’s Verplancks Point of Interest Revolutionary War Watch Hill Furnace Dock Road Township Act  Federal housing programs | Westchester Montrose History (Cortlandt)

914-734-1002 
  The Town of Cortlandt is located in the northwestern corner of Westchester County, NY. It includes two incorporated villages, Croton-on-Hudson and Buchanan. Cortlandt also includes several hamlets: Cortlandt Manor, Crompond, Crugers, Montrose and Verplanck, Lake Peekskill and a section of Mohegan Lake. The rural character of the town is defined by the Hudson River, New York City Watershed Lands, numerous wooded hills and steep slopes, wetland areas and beautiful streams. Montrose History  (Cortlandt) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All New Rochelle Listings10801, history, about new rochelle, things to do, places to visit, activities, attractions, restaurants, dining, buying a home in new rochelle, concert, golf course, antique stores, children, park, kids, parks in new rochelle, playground, movies, shopping  featured listings  

 New Rochelle Town History

10804, Thomas Paine, New Rochelle, NY, oldest historical associations in the United States, works of Thomas Paine, history, preeminent founder of the United States of America, Thomas Paine Memorial Building, American inventor | Westchester Thomas Paine National Historical Association

914-434-7270 
  Thomas Paine National Historical Association is located at 983 North Ave, New Rochelle, NY 10804. "The Thomas Paine National Historical Association, founded January 29, 1884 in New York City, is among the oldest historical associations in the United States. Our mission, to educate the world about the life, times and works of Thomas Paine, is designed to ensure Paine's rightful place in history as the preeminent founder of the United States of America. He was, in fact, the first person to coin this phrase. In the course of his lifetime, Paine was an outstanding political and social influence upon the entire world." Thomas Paine National Historical Association | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All North Castle Listings10504, town of north castle, westchester county, hudson valley, kensico reservoir, north white plains, armonk, eastern district, banksville, history, today’s armonk, ibm corporation,  historical flavor, about north castle, wampus pond park  featured listings  

 North Castle Town History

10504, religious persecution, American Revolution, neutral territory, patriotic, Revolutionary War, Battle of White Plains, Continental Army, Points of Interest, Underground Railroad, Revolutionary War, Points of Interest, Historical Society | Westchester North Castle History

914-273-3001 
  The Town of North Castle is located in the eastern part of Westchester County, NY. The Town of North Castle comprises approximately 26 square miles and is situated at the narrow waist of Westchester County. The bulk of the Town's land area lies north of this corner, but the most densely populated part of the town lies to the south. The Kensico Reservoir separates these two parts of North Castle. The Town of North Castle is divided into three distinct geographic areas: North White Plains, Armonk, and the Eastern District, the hamlet of Banksville. North Castle History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All North Salem Listings10560, northeastern corner, horse country, croton falls, grants corner, north salem, purdys, train stations, public schools, hiking trails in mountain lakes park, birding, boating, camping, cross-country skiing, fishing, restaurants in north salem  featured listings  

 North Salem Town History

North Salem, horse farms, horse country, North Salem Bridle Trails, historic system of trails, hamlets and villages of Croton Falls, History of the County of Westchester, village of North Salem, history of Westchester County, History And Antiquities | Westchester North Salem History

 
 

History of North Salem
Westchester County
Hudson Valley


The Town of North Salem is located in the northeastern corner of Westchester County, NY. North Salem encompasses just over 23 square miles and is noted for its open lands, lakes, reservoirs, and many horse farms. North Salem, also known as "horse country" is unique in its beautiful rural landscape. The North Salem Bridle Trails Association maintains and develops the historic system of trails, which extends and connects more than one hundred linear miles of trails in the towns of North Salem, N.Y. and Ridgefield, CT. North Salem History | Westchester  more . . .
 All North White Plains Listings10603, history of north white plains, american revolution, battle of white plains, revolutionary war, elijah miller, smiths tavern, museum, about north white plains, antique shops, fishing, children, underground railroad, kensico dam  featured listings  

 North White Plains Town History

10603, religious persecution, Mohican people, American Revolution, neutral territory, patriotic, Revolutionary War, Battle of White Plains, General George Washington's, turning point in the war, Continental Army, Points of Interest, Underground Railroad | Westchester North White Plains History (North Castle)

914-273-3001 
  North White Plains is located in the Town of North Castle in the eastern part of Westchester County, NY. The Town of North Castle comprises approximately 26 square miles and is situated at the narrow waist of Westchester County. The bulk of the Town's land area lies north of this corner, but the most densely populated part of the town lies to the south. The Kensico Reservoir separates these two parts of North Castle. The Town of North Castle is divided into three distinct geographic areas: North White Plains, Armonk, and the Eastern District, the hamlet of Banksville. North White Plains History  (North Castle) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Ossining Listingscentral mid west western hudson river sing sing osining osinsing  featured listings  

 Ossining Town History

Sint Sinck Indians Wappinger Confederacy Colonel Frederick Philpse landholdings Manor of Philipsburg Loyalist Revolutionary War Village of Sing Sing Prison Ossining Ossinsing first incorporated village 
Town of Mount Pleasant Sparta Scarborough | Westchester Ossining History

914-762-6000 
  Ossining is located in the western part of Westchester County, NY and borders the Hudson River. In 1685, Frederick Philipse bought what later became the Town of Ossining from the Sint Sinck Indians, members of the Wappinger Confederacy. This land formed part of the vast Frederick Philpse landholdings. The Manor of Philipsburg extended from Spuyten Duyvil Creek to the Croton River. All of Colonel Philpse's land was confiscated by the state in 1779 because he was a Loyalist during the Revolutionary War. Subsequently, many former landowners bought their farms from the state. Ossining History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Peekskill Listings10566, history, american revolution, activities, underground railroad, art district, artist studios, galleries, peekskill art lofts, about peekskill, things to do, places to visit, activities, attractions, dining, restaurants, buying a home  featured listings  

 Peekskill Town History

Peekskill, City of Peekskill, Dutch ship Half Moon, Jan Peeck, Peekskill's early history, War of Independence, Revolutionary War military base, Hudson River Railroad, Underground Railroad,  Harriet Beecher Stowe, Peekskill as a City, Peekskill's History | Westchester Peekskill History

914-788-0100 
  Peekskill's Origins, Development and Highlights
Peekskill is located in the northwestern part of Westchester County, NY along the Hudson River. The riverfront of the City of Peekskill was historically one of intense commercial and industrial activity for most of the last century. The City's Waterfront served as a port for the shipping and receiving of raw materials and finished goods. The City's river port thrived and provided an economic engine for the City and a region as a whole. Peekskill History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Pound Ridge Listingspound ridge, new york, fine dining, scenic spots, hiking,  ward pound ridge reservation, picnics, hiking for the beginner or the advanced hiker,  fishing, cross-country skiing, demographics for pound ridge, history of pound ridge  featured listings  

 Pound Ridge Town History

10576, Historical, history, history of Pound Ridge, history of our community, American heritage, museum/library, Town Hall, Historical Society, events, about Pound Ridge Historical Society | Westchester Pound Ridge Historical Society

914-764-4333 
  The Pound Ridge Historical Society is located at 255 Westchester Ave., Pound Ridge, NY 10576 in Westchester County.

"The purpose of this Society shall be to bring together those people interested in history and especially the history of Pound Ridge and environs. Understanding the history of our community is basic to our democratic way of life, gives us a better understanding of our state and nation, and promotes a better appreciation of our American heritage." Pound Ridge Historical Society | Westchester  website and more . . .

municipality, municipality Pound Ridge, northeast Westchester County, Bedford, South Salem, Topography, Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, hiking trails, war, Basket Town, Leatherman, Schools in Pound Ridge | Westchester Pound Ridge History

914-764-5511 
  The municipality of Pound Ridge is located in the northeast section of Westchester County. Pound Ridge borders both New York and Connecticut. Pound Ridge is adjacent to the Connecticut towns of New Canaan and northern Stamford. On the New York side, Pound Ridge borders Bedford and the more rural town of South Salem. Pound Ridge is characterized by a rugged landscape, rock outcroppings and rugged cliffs. "Nowhere in the town's 23 square miles is there even a traffic light." Pound Ridge History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Rye Listings10580, history of the city of rye, new york, schools, rye school districts, historical landmarks, about rye, hiking, golf courses in rye, antique stores, birding in rye, place for children, kids, time to eat, rye restaurants, buying a home in rye  featured listings  

 Rye Town History

City of Rye History

 
  History of the City of Rye, New York

Rye is the oldest permanent settlement in Westchester County. It began in 1660 when Peter Disbrow, John Coe and Thomas Studwell came from Greenwich with a small group of settlers. They were joined by John Budd the following year. Their first treaty with the Mohegan Indians gave them the land between Milton Point and the Byram River (Peningoe Neck); then the mile-long “Manussing” Island. Within several years their combined purchases comprised all of what is now the City of Rye, Town of Rye, Harrison, White Plains, parts of Greenwich, North Castle, and Mamaroneck. City of Rye History | Westchester  more . . .
 All Scarborough Listingscentral, activities, attractions, things to do, state parks, play golf, golf courses, trump national golf  club, antique dealers, outdoor activities, fishing, biking, kids, picnic, park, parks, birding, children, park preserve, scarborough station  featured listings  

 Scarborough Town History

Briarcliff Manor Ossinsing Town of Mount Pleasant Sing Sing Sparta Scarborough Whitson Whitsons Corners
Briarcliff Farms American Beauty Roses Laird Andrew Carnegie | Westchester Scarborough History (Briarcliff Manor)

914-941-4800 
  Scarborough is located in the municipality of Briarcliff Manor in the central part of Westchester County, NY. Scarborough History (Briarcliff Manor) | Westchester  more . . .
 All Shenorock Listingsnorthern, outdoor activities, attractions, things to do, visit parks, antique shops, hiking, biking, lasdon park, history, about lincolndale, golfing, golf, golf course, summer outdoor concerts, antiquing, antique shops, historical society  featured listings  

 Shenorock Town History

IBM Pepsi PepsiCo New York City Reservoir Hachaliah Bailey Cradle of American Circus Croton Muscoot Rivers African Elephant Mount Zion Church Wright-Reis Homestead Point of Interest | Westchester Shenorock History (Somers)

914-277-3637 
  Shenorock is one of five communities in the Town of Somers. The other communities are Amawalk, Baldwin Place, Granite Springs and Lincolndale. The Town of Somers is located in the northern part of Westchester County. Shenorock History  (Somers) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Somers Listingsnorthern, historical society, history, antiquities, north, state parks, golfing, antique shops, hiking, biking, kids, picnic, gardens, lasdon park arboretum, somers, amawalk, baldwin place, granite springs,  lincolndale, shenorock  featured listings  

 Somers Town History

Arboretum, concert, musical fare, picnic supper, Things To Do, Botanical Specimens, Chinese Friendship Pavilion, Formal Gardens, Night Music concerts, Lasdon Park, picnicking, music | Westchester Lasdon Park Arboretum and Veterans Memorial

914-864-7260 
  Lasdon Park, Arboretum and Veterans Memorial, located on Route 35 in Somers, NY, Westchester County, is a magnificent 234-acre property consisting of woodlands, open grass meadow and formal gardens with flower and shrub specimens from all over the world. Lasdon is also the site of the Chinese Friendship Pavilion and four inspirational memorials and a museum honoring Westchester veterans. Lasdon Park Arboretum and Veterans Memorial | Westchester  website and more . . .

IBM Pepsi PepsiCo New York City Reservoir Hachaliah Bailey Cradle of American Circus Croton Muscoot Rivers African Elephant Mount Zion Church Wright-Reis Homestead Point of Interest | Westchester Somers History

914-277-3637 
  The Town of Somers is located in the northern part of Westchester County, NY. Somers is comprised of five communities including: Amawalk, Baldwin Place, Granite Springs, Lincolndale, and Shenorock. Somers History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Tarrytown Listingsriver town, river towns, hudson river, southern, tourist towns, visit, vacation, holiday, sightsee, south, southern, southwest, southwestern  featured listings  

 Tarrytown Town History

10591, Hotel & Spa, Tarrytown, NY, Castle Hotel, About Castle Hotel, Historic Site, Outdoor pool, four-poster beds, wood-burning fireplaces, breathtaking views , Activities and Attractions, Wineries, Shopping in White Plains, The word is | Westchester Castle Hotel and Spa

914-631-1980 
  Castle Hotel & Spa is located at 400 Benedict Ave, Tarrytown, NY 10591 in Westchester County.

From Castle Hotel: "Only thirty minutes north of Manhattan, Castle Hotel & Spa sits majestically atop one of the highest points in Westchester County overlooking the Hudson River amid sprawling acres of manicured gardens and grounds. With over 100 years of history, the Castle is undoubtedly a sumptuous escape to the enchanted era of America’s Gilded Age. The Castle’s luxurious guestrooms, suites with wood-burning fireplaces and lavish amenities, continue to be a favorite among dignitaries and celebrities. Castle Hotel and Spa | Westchester  website and more . . .

Tappan Zee Washington Irving  Legend of Sleepy Hollow Philipse Philipsburg Manor The Old Dutch Church Sleepy Hollow American Revolution Mansions Castles Historic Sites Carrollcliff Castle Hotel Mark Twain Kykuit Rockefeller Lyndhurst Tarrytown Music Hall | Westchester Tarrytown History

 
  Tarrytown-On-Hudson is located in the western part of Westchester County, NY. It is situated on the eastern shore of the Hudson River in an area called "The Tappan Zee". The first documented inhabitants of Tarrytown are the Weckquaesgeek Indians, a branch of the Mohican tribe of the Algonquin nation. The Weckquaesgeeks raised corn, squash, beans, and tobacco. They fished the Hudson for shad, oysters and other shellfish and hunted the area for deer and black bear. They also trapped for fur and hides for clothing, and later traded these with the Dutch. Their principle settlement was at the foot of Church Street at a place they called Alipconk, also known as the Place of Elms.

Records show that the first residence in Tarrytown was built in 1645. However, the exact location is not known. The first white settlers were Dutch. They were farmers, fur trappers, and fishermen. Tarrytown soil was light and loamy which was ideal for growing cereals; especially wheat. This led to the area being known as Wheat Town, or Terve Town, which later became mispronounced as Tarrytown. Some historians believe that "tarry" is a corruption of the Dutch word "tarwe" wheat, hence the name "Tarrytown". Tarrytown History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Tuckahoe Listingssoutheast southeastern south southern  featured listings  

 Tuckahoe Town History

East Chester Anne Hutchinson Eastchester Covenant Revolutionary War Marble Capital of the World Tuckahoe Marble Dutch Schultz American golf champions U.S. Open  national Treeture Environmental Education Program Points of Interest | Westchester Tuckahoe History (Eastchester)

914-771-3300 
  The Town of Eastchester, which includes the incorporated villages of Bronxville and Tuckahoe, is about 5 miles south of White Plains and 20 miles north of New York City. Eastchester covers an area of 3.26 square miles. Tuckahoe History (Eastchester) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Verplanck Listings10596, history of verplanck, about verplanck, things to do, around verplanck, outdoor activities, attractions, kids, children, things to do, parks, georges island county park, oscawana park, play golf, golf courses in westchester, fishing, biking  featured listings  

 Verplanck Town History

Croton-on-Hudson Buchanan Cortlandt Manor Crompond Crugers Montrose Verplanck Lake Peekskill Mohegan Lake
Verplanck’s Verplancks Point of Interest Revolutionary War Watch Hill Furnace Dock Road Township Act Philip Van Cortlandt Federal housing programs | Westchester Verplanck History (Cortlandt)

914-734-1002 
  The Town of Cortlandt is located in the northwestern corner of Westchester County, NY. It includes two incorporated villages, Croton-on-Hudson and Buchanan. Cortlandt also includes several hamlets: Cortlandt Manor, Crompond, Crugers, Montrose and Verplanck, Lake Peekskill and a section of Mohegan Lake. The rural character of the town is defined by the Hudson River, New York City Watershed Lands, numerous wooded hills and steep slopes, wetland areas and beautiful streams. Verplanck History  (Cortlandt) | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Westchester County Listings  featured listings  

 Westchester County Town History

Dutch settlers Historic River Towns Old Croton Aqueduct State Park Old Dutch Burying Ground Sleepy Hollow Lasdon Park Arboretum Veterans Memorial Lyndhurst National Trust Landmark children family Hudson Valley Philipsburg Manor Sleepy Hollow New York | Westchester Historic Hudson River Towns

914-631-8200 
  The River Towns of Westchester County
Early Dutch settlers were attracted to the area now known as "Historic River Towns" of Westchester. Visit the many charming towns overlooking the Hudson River and walk through areas both rich in history and beautiful to explore. For both tourists and residents alike, when spending a day out in Weschester County, be sure to visit the Historic River Towns of Westchester where you can enjoy beautiful views, among the best restaurants in Westchester, and many wonderful historic sites. Historic Hudson River Towns | Westchester  website and more . . .

History of Westchester County Schools, History of Eastchester School District, union free school districts, Waverly School, history of the school district, Eastchester High School, Waverly Early Childhood Center, junior high school, High School | Westchester Westchester County School Districts - History

 
  History of Westchester County Schools


History of Eastchester School District
"When the town of Eastchester was founded in 1665, it included all the land between the Bronx and the Hutchinson rivers, from the Eastchester Creek in the south (where Co-Op City now stands) to the Scarsdale border in the north. The original settlers signed a covenant stating that its citizens would ' help and counsel each other' and 'that provision be made for the education of the children.' It would not be until January 26, 1726, however, when Captain Joseph Drake and Jerimiah Fowler were elected at a town meeting to be the 'overseers of ye school in ye town,' that we have an official record of the first school. Westchester County School Districts - History | Westchester  more . . .

Bedford Cortland Greenburgh Harrison Lewisboro South Salem Cross River Mamaroneck New Castle New Rochelle North Castle North Salem Pelham Port Chester Poundridge Rye Scarsdale Sleepy Hollow Somers Tarrytown White Plains Yonkers Yorktown | Westchester Westchester History

 
  Westchester County
Westchester County occupies a 450 square-mile area bounded on the west by the Hudson River, on the north by Putnam County, on the east by Fairfield County, Connecticut, and the Long Island Sound, and on the south by the Borough of the Bronx, New York City. The county has an estimated 1998 total population of about 897,920 persons, a 2.6 percent increase from 1990, and encompasses six cities, 14 towns, and 23 villages. The majority of the principal roadways and all the railroad lines in Westchester run north to south, following the orientation of the river valleys. Residential development has historically followed this pattern, spreading north as densities increased in the South and Central County areas. Over all travel patterns are primarily north to south because of the concentration of employment centers in New York City and southern and central Westchester. However, within some towns such as Cortlandt, travel patterns are often east west to access major traffic arterials.

Westchester History | Westchester  website and more . . .
 All Yonkers Listingssouth southern southwest southwestern hudson river valley  featured listings  

 Yonkers Town History

10701 19th 20th century American art historic Mansion Hudson River Valley region Yonkers Museum Arts Science Museum's historic Mansion Yonkers-Museum City Hall Glenview Mansion  Lifflander Galleries | Westchester Hudson River Museum

914-963-4550 
  The Hudson River Museum is located at 511 Warburton Ave, Yonkers, NY 10701. The Museum collects 19th and 20th century American art and cultural, social and historical material related to the Museum's historic Mansion and the wider Westchester County and Hudson River Valley region. Though the Museum's collecting focus has evolved over its 84-year history, the trustees and staff have always been concerned with the institution's value and relevance to the surrounding region and its residents. The majority of the collections have been donated by Museum members and other local residents. Hudson River Museum | Westchester  website and more . . .

 More Hudson Valley  Town History

Town History | Dutchess Dutchess County
      [2 listings over 2 locations]
Town History | Orange Orange County
      [5 listings over 4 locations]
Town History | Putnam Putnam County
      [6 listings over 4 locations]
Town History | Rockland Rockland County
      [1 listing over 1 location]
Town History | Ulster Ulster County
      [1 listing over 1 location]

Westchester County

Town History


Learn about Westchester County history and its role in the American Revolution, the arrival of the railroads in the 1840s and more. Also read "History and Antiquities", a general collection of interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, and anecdotes about Westchester County and its towns.

Westchester County
Westchester County occupies a 450 square-mile area bounded on the west by the Hudson River, on the north by Putnam County, on the east by Fairfield County, Connecticut, and the Long Island Sound, and on the south by the Borough of the Bronx, New York City. The county has an estimated 1998 total population of about 897,920 persons, a 2.6 percent increase from 1990, and encompasses six cities, 14 towns, and 23 villages. The majority of the principal roadways and all the railroad lines in Westchester run north to south, following the orientation of the river valleys. Residential development has historically followed this pattern, spreading north as densities increased in the South and Central County areas. Over all travel patterns are primarily north to south because of the concentration of employment centers in New York City and southern and central Westchester. However, within some towns such as Cortlandt, travel patterns are often east west to access major traffic arterials.

Topography
Westchester County generally exhibits a beautiful diversity of surface. The northwestern corner is considerably broken by the south east border of the Highlands, of a mountain character, and a range of hills of moderate height extends from York Island towards the north east extremity on which are situated the heights and hills much known in the revolution. Based upon primitive rock, the soil is naturally sterile, but is rendered productive by careful and painful cultivation.

For the most part, the communities in Northern Westchester are less densely populated and have less commercial development than those in central and Southern Westchester. Urban development in the North County area is generally confined to historic transportation corridors along the Hudson River, the New York to Albany rail line, and the Route 9 highway, the old New York to Albany Post Road. The eastern part of the North County area, including the Towns of North Salem, Lewisboro, and Pound Ridge, tends to be less developed than the western part.

Westchester History
Before the days of railroads or highways, Westchester had the trade routes of the Hudson River and Long Island Sound; later, in the 18th century, the primitive post roads to Albany and Boston were cut through Westchester's rolling, wooded hills.

When New York City's population boomed after the 1825 completion of the Erie Canal, Westchester furnished many of the city's raw and finished goods. Iron foundries were located throughout the county, and Westchester's numerous brickyards and marble quarries provided the materials for the thousands of row houses and monumental new institutional buildings spreading across Manhattan. When Newgate Prison in Greenwich Village was no longer adequate, it was replaced in 1828 by Sing Sing, "up the river" in Westchester County. When a reliable and clean source of drinking water was needed, New Yorkers looked to Westchester, where the Croton Dam was completed in 1842. Today, the county is still a vital link in the New York City water supply system.

In the 1840s, the railroads came. In 1844, the New York and Harlem Railroad reached White Plains; the New York and Hudson River line was completed to Peekskill in 1849. That year, the New York and New Haven opened its route through eastern Westchester. Soon thereafter, population began to shift from the northern half of Westchester to the south, clustering around railroad stations. All three railroads, which now originate from Manhattan's Grand Central Terminal, are operated by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, and are heavily used by commuters.

The railroads' effectiveness at stimulating development was seen in the establishment of Mount Vernon, which is located between New Rochelle and Yonkers and, like the other two, borders the Bronx on its south. Unlike Yonkers or New Rochelle, which date back as communities to the 17th century, Mount Vernon, "was a new idea - a community of people who were economically dependent on [New York City], and who would be traveling back and forth every day - a commuter suburb." Together, in 1851, a group of skilled tradesmen affiliated with "Mechanics Mutual Protection No. 11" in New York City purchased five farms totaling 369 acres, and subdivided them according to a grid plan. The leader of the group, John Stevens, saw the endeavor as a means of improving the condition of New York's working class by freeing it from rent payments and enabling it to enter the class of property owners. Mount Vernon was incorporated as a village in 1852, and rapidly grew to become a city 40 years later.

Between 1865 and 1920, Westchester's population boomed, multiplying from about 100,000 to almost 350,000. During the 1920s, the county's growth became channeled along the routes of its new automobile parkways, the finest highway system in America. Following the 1925 completion of the Bronx River Parkway, the world's first limited-access public motor-route, Westchester built a highway system that was second to none, much of it funded by projected increases in real estate valuations. Development, largely consisting of single-family homes along the parkways' edges, boomed.

Linked by the new highways was an equally impressive system of golf courses and lush county parks. Among these was New Rochelle's Glen Island, taken over in 1925 by Westchester County, and famous in the 1930s for the appearance of prominent big bands at its Casino; and Playland, a model amusement park completed by Westchester County in 1927. Rye Playland, now on the National Register of Historic Places, is still operated by county government. Amenities such as these earned Westchester a reputation as the nation's most desirable suburb.

Westchester's prosperity was underscored by the decision of many New York department stores to open branches in the county beginning in the 1930s. B. Altman opened its White Plains store in 1934; Arnold Constable followed, in New Rochelle, in 1937. Lord & Taylor completed its Eastchester store in 1949, the same year that Macy's opened in White Plains. In 1953, General Foods became the first of many corporations to leave behind its Manhattan headquarters for a new suburban campus, in White Plains, seen at right. The section of Westchester Avenue near White Plains, a major headquarters location, has since become known as the "Platinum Mile."

Westchester Today
Westchester remains a major center of corporate headquarters, excellent schools, beautiful parks, cultural activities and much more - all adding to an ideal standard of living. School drop-out rates in the county are a scant 1.5%, and 80% to 90% of students continue their educations past high school.

    History from 1920-1983 Written by: Susan Cochran Swanson and Elizabeth Green Fuller and may be viewed in its entirety on the www.WestchesterGov.com/history page.

    The Depression drove many farmers out of business and the dairy farms began to break up as competition from other areas lowered the demand for Westchester farm products. Rising land taxes and falling profits led most of the remaining farmers to sell out to real estate developers after World War II. In 1964, 18,500 acres were farmed in Westchester. Ten years later only 9,000 acres were farmed.

    South of White Plains, the few remaining farms disappeared rapidly after 1920 as suburbanization began in earnest. William L. Ward influenced the County Board of Supervisors to create the Westchester County Planning Commission and gathered a team of county citizens to carry out his dream of developing Westchester into a suburban paradise. An overall plan for golf courses, parkways, and recreational areas created a network of beautiful open areas throughout the county.

    The Bronx River Parkway is credited as the highway that opened up Westchester. It had been begun in 1906 as part of the project to clean up the Bronx River, which had become a badly contaminated eyesore by the turn of the century. In the process of building the parkway, the Bronx River bed was cleaned and dredged, 30,000 trees and 140,000 shrubs were planted, and paths and benches for the public were set among the trees and lakes. When it opened in 1925 the Bronx River Parkway drew worldwide attention to Westchester County.

    The Bronx River Parkway was followed by the Saw Mill River Parkway, the Hutchinson River Parkway, the Taconic Parkway, and the Cross County Parkway, all completed by the 1930s. The scenic beauty of Westchester's parkways is still fresh fifty years later. The next major road construction did not take place until the 1950s and 1960s, when the interstate expressways and thruways were built.

    The parkways brought many young, middle-class executives and professionals to Westchester to buy new homes being erected on old estates. The prosperity of the post-war period put cash in the pockets of many young families. They invested in real estate, which rapidly increased in value. Buying a home became the goal of everyone who could afford it.

    Transportation was developed to accommodate the growing population. Local roads were paved, traffic regulations developed, and traffic lights installed. As the roadways improved, buses replaced the old trolley system. The Toonerville Trolley of Pelham made its last run in 1937; the Westchester bus system had replaced it.

    As suburban towns grew, men and women organized a variety of social, cultural, and educational organizations. Women also nurtured the arts and other cultural activities. Membership in womens' clubs and service organizations became an integral part of the suburban life that emerged in Westchester during the 1920s and continues into the 1980s.

    People enjoyed many leisure activities in Westchester during the period between the world wars. Among the achievements of William Ward and the parks commission was the creation of an overall plan for recreational areas in the county. Rye Playland Amusement Park opened to acclaim in 1928. Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, Croton Point Park, Glen Island Park, and Kingsland Point Park were also developed by the county for the public. In 1930 the County Center was opened in White Plains as an all-purpose convention space for exhibits and events.

    Armonk Airport was a great recreational attraction in the late 1920s and 1930s. People came from miles around to watch the planes and barnstormers. Roadside stands and the Log Cabin Restaurant catered to the crowds. Residents still recall the phenomenal traffic jams along Bedford Road.

    The entertainment industry had a brief moment of glory in Westchester when D. W. Griffith operated his movie studio complex on Orienta Point in Mamaroneck. The Gish sisters, Mary Pickford, and many other famous movie stars of the day were filmed in the Griffith studios and also on location around the county. Legitimate theater also took precarious hold on Westchester soil. The Lawrence family opened the Lawrence Farms Theatre, the first summer-stock theater in Westchester, in a barn on the former Moses Taylor estate in Mount Kisco. Day Tuttle and Richard Skinner leased the barn in 1932, and throughout the 1930s great actors and actresses like Tallulah Bankhead, Henry Fonda, and Margaret Sullivan appeared there.

    The Depression hit Westchester as badly as it did the rest of the nation. Communities rallied to provide support for the unemployed. Many of the work projects sponsored by the federal government are still enjoyed by county residents today.

    The period between the wars saw a number of new businesses arriving in Westchester. When B. Altman's opened a branch in White Plains in 1934, it was the first major New York department store to come to Westchester. Best and Company, Peck and Peck, and Sloane's followed in the 1940s, and White Plains became the major shopping center in Westchester County. The man credited with this development of "Little Fifth Avenue" was Leonard H. Davidow, who set a high standard of excellence in his dealings.

    The Reader's Digest developed into a major publishing concern in Pleasantville during the 1930s. When the magazine outgrew its rented office space in Pleasantville, it built a spectacular colonial-style headquarters which still dominates a hill overlooking the Saw Mill River Parkway in Chappaqua.

    During World War II the county once again rallied for the war effort. General Motors manufactured airplane parts, Norden bomb sights were made in White Plains, and the Alexander Smith Carpet Mills turned out tents and uniforms for the armed forces. Westchester residents enthusiastically supported scrap-iron drives for Britain in 1940. Then after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941, they sent their men and boys overseas to join the Allied forces. On the home front men and women worked in the factories, joined the Civil Defense League, watched for enemy planes, and took first aid classes to be prepared in case of an enemy attack. Many took British and French children into their homes. They bought war bonds and endured the inconveniences of food and gas rationing. Then on VJ Day, August 5, 1945, it was over, and Westchester joined the rest of the nation in parades and celebrations of joy.

    The post-World War II period of the 1950s was one of prosperity and optimism. Veterans returned home, married, entered the job market, and raised large families. The baby boom was on, and Westchester responded to it by building high-rise apartments, single-family homes, and schools. Ranch homes, split levels, and clapboard and stone colonials filled up the vacant lots in lower Westchester. North of White Plains, developers built hundreds of new homes in the fields and woods of the old farms.

    One of the characteristics of suburban life in the 1950s was its focus on children and the family. A wide range of social, cultural, and sports activities was developed for young people. It seemed as if parents who had endured the Depression as children and the war as young adults wanted their own children to experience a full life. Families barbecued, camped, and played together. Country clubs, which had catered primarily to golf and tennis playing adults in earlier years, built swimming pools and offered competitive swimming, diving, and tennis programs for members' children.

    Women in the 1950s and 1960s generally preferred to work before their children were born and, if necessary, after they were grown. However, many middle-class women did not need to work and hoped to marry soon after finishing their education. Women continued to spend the majority of their time caring for their homes and children. Social, cultural, and service clubs filled their leisure hours and satisfied their need for companionship during the day.

    Since 1960 the arts have received increasing attention from the Westchester community. An educated population offered support and volunteer time to help promote historical and art museums and the performing arts. The Katonah Gallery is an outstanding example of a professional and volunteer staff working closely together to create highly professional art exhibits and programs for the public and for the schools. Many communities have active arts councils as well as private schools of dance, music, and art. In 1965 the Council of the Arts of Westchester was founded to provide funds for arts groups and promote the arts in Westchester. Corporations have led the fund raising efforts of the Council of the Arts. PepsiCo, Inc., in cooperation with the State University of New York at Purchase, created the outstanding Summerfare program which brings world-famous musical, theater, and dance groups to the SUNY Purchase campus in July and August.

    The relocation to Westchester of several corporate headquarters during the decades after World War II had a major impact on the county. General Foods was the first, in 1953, followed by Ciba-Geigy, in 1956, and Nestle, in 1958. In the 1960s and 1970s many factors combined to influence the corporate giants to move their vast operations to Westchester. They had the opportunity to build their own facilities, an available work force, and the interstate road system; Westchester County Airport made the county easily accessible to the rest of the northeast.

    The handsome architecture and landscaping of many of the corporate buildings make a significant contribution to the beauty of the county. In several instances, major architectural talents have been engaged to design buildings for such corporations as Union Carbide, Frank B. Hall, IBM. World Trade Americas/Far East, and PepsiCo. Their landscaped settings have provided Westchester with acres of parkland that complement the parks and parkways built in the 1920s.

    In recent years, many business areas in Westchester have undergone extensive revitalization. White Plains, Yonkers and Peekskill, for instance, have undergone vast changes. Although there are many new buildings being built in Westchester today, there is a significant movement to retain fine old ones, and many landmarks have been renovated to be used as schools, colleges, and business offices. The Westchester Preservation League has worked with both individuals and municipalities to create historic districts and to save worthy buildings.

    Private foundations have generously donated funds for historic preservation. None has done more than the Rockefeller family. Their creation of Sleepy Hollow Restorations has preserved Van Cortlandt Manor, Philipsburgh Manor, and Sunnyside. Local efforts by non-profit historical societies and town historians continue to keep Westchester's heritage alive through historical museums, library collections, programs, and events.

    Government agencies have also supported the historic preservation of Lyndhurst, Philipse Manor Hall in Yonkers, and the John Jay Homestead. In October 1981 the county of Westchester was bequeathed the beautiful estate, Merestead, in Mount Kisco, by Mrs. Margaret Sloane Patterson. In 1983, Westchester County celebrated its 300th anniversary. Residents can look with pride at the past 300 years and, with that rich heritage behind them, look with confidence to the next 300 years.

History And Antiquities
The following covers "History and Antiquities", a general collection of interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, and anecdotes about Westchester County and its towns. When reading the following, remember to keep in mind that this information has been written about two hundred years ago. Population statistics and events have not been revised to reflect current events and perspective. We think this adds to the historical flavor and interest of the writings, giving a different perspective on much of this information and written in an "older world" writing style. The following write-up is taken, in part, from: "Historical Collections of the State of New York, Published by S. Tuttle, 194 Chatham-Square, 1841

    1642 - "Westchester has an uneven surface, and a soil which will sustain a high degree of cultivation. Pop. 4,154. This town was probably first settled in 1642, by a Mr. Throckmorton and 35 associates, who came from New England with the approbation of the Dutch authorities. It was called by the Dutch, Eastdorp. The manor of Morrisiana, originally containing about 3,000 acres, belongs to the distinguished family of Morris; it is in the SW. corner of the town, opposite Hell Gate. This manor gave name to a town from 1788 to 1791, part of the present town of Westchester. Westchester village, at the head of navigation of Westchester creek, 2 miles from the sound, and 14 NE. from New York, contains about 50 dwellings. West Farms, on the Bronx River at the head of navigation, 3 miles from the sound and 12 from New York, contains about 60 dwellings."

    1683 - "Westchester County, established November 1, 1683. Westchester, a residential county made up of many suburban communities, more than half the people live in the four cities of Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle and White Plains... The first settlement in this region was called Westchester from which the county took its name. This community, now in the Bronx, served as county seat until 1759, when a courthouse was built at White Plains. Here on July 9, 1776, the fourth Provincial Congress met to consider the Declaration of Independence. It was immediately adopted and two days later read from the courthouse steps. Today's courthouse is the fourth at White Plains. A courthouse built at Bedford after the Revolution was abandoned in 1870 although the building is still standing."

    1691 - "Westchester County is of ancient date. It was represented in the first legislative assembly in the colony, which met at New York in 1691. And it has constituted one county to this time, having been organized as such by the general acts of 1788 and 1801. This county comprises a very important section of the state."

    "Washed on the west by the Hudson, and on the south by the East river and Long Island sound, it enjoys very superior advantages for trade and commerce. The county general exhibits a beautiful diversity of surface, The northwester corner of Westchester County is considerably broken the SE border of the Highlands, of a mountain character, and a range of hills of moderate height extends from York Island towards the NE extremity, on which are situated the heights and hills much known in the revolution. Based upon primitive rock, the soil is naturally sterile, but is rendered productive by careful and painful cultivation. Of wheat it produces little, and the inhabitants import a large portion of their breadstuffs. Summer crops are good, and by the use of plaster, valuable returns in grass are obtained. The chief business of the inhabitants consists in supplying New York City with garden stuffs, field vegetables, butter, poultry, etc.

    This county suffered severely during the revolution. The whole southern part was marked by the marches, works of defense, or skirmishes and battles of hostile armies. And, indeed, the active operations of the war in 1776, were principally confined to this region, and in the autumn to this county. where the two armies were in full force, constantly on the alert, and under the eyes of their respective commanders. The county is divided into 21 towns, all of which were organized under the act of March 7th, 1788, excepting New Castle. Population 48,687."

    Bedford - History published 1841

    "Bedford, from New York NE, 44 miles, was first settled under a Connecticut license in 1681 or 1682, at a place called the hop-ground, on account of its natural product. The original patent, dated 1697, bears the Connecticut seal, and it was not until 1700 that the settlement was attached to New York by order of King William. Bedford, the half-shire town, has a courthouse and about 45 dwellings. Whitlockville is a small village."

      First Chief-Justice of the United States
      "John Jay during the latter part of his life resided in the northern part of this town. The annexed sketch of his life is from Blake's Biographical Dictionary: "John Jay, LL.D., first chief-justice of the United States under the constitution of 1789, graduated at Kings, (now Columbia College) in 1764 and in 1768 was admitted to the bar. He was appointed to the first American congress in 1774. Being on the committee with Lee and Livingston to draft an address to the people of Great Britain, he was the writer of the eloquent production. In the congress of 1775, he was on various important committees, performing more service perhaps than any other member except Franklin and John Adams. In May, 1776, he was recalled to assist in forming the government of New York, and in consequence his name is not attached to the declaration of Independence... though not a member of the convention that formed the constitution of the United States, he was present at Annapolis and aided by his advice. He also assisted Madison and Hamilton in writing the Federalist. In the convention of New York he contributed to the adoption of the constitution. He was appointed chief justice by Washington, December 26, 1789. In 1794, he was appointed minister plenipotentiary to Great Britain, and succeeded in negotiating the treaty, which still goes, by his name. Chief-Justice John Jay was governor of the state of New York from 1795 to 1801. The remainder of his life passed in retirement. He died in 1829, aged 84."

    Cortland - History published 1841
    "The surface of this town on the north is covered by the highlands, and has some lofty summits, the principal of which is the Kleberg and Anthony's nose. The town has a considerable portion of arable land. Pop. 5,592. Croton and Cortland town are small post villages."

    East Chester - History published 1841
    "The village of East Chester is situated at the head of a bay on Long Island sound, 16 miles NE. from New York, on the old turnpike and stage road to Boston, and contains an Episcopal church and about 25 dwellings. Bronx is the name of a small settlement and post-office in the northern part of the town, in the vicinity of which are valuable marble quarries. Pop. 1,502."

    Greenburgh - History published 1841
    "Greenburgh is pleasantly situated on the Hudson, 22 miles N. of the city of New York. Pop. 3,361. On the banks of the river are splendid sites for country residences, many of which are occupied by the wealthy. About two miles below the village of Tarrytown, beautifully situated on the Hudson, is the country residence of Washington Irving, Esq., and well known as the ‘Van Tassel’ house. Dobbs' Ferry, a noted place in the revolution, is situated on the Hudson, 22 miles N. of New York, and opposite the northern termination of the Palisades. There is here a village containing 2 churches, and about 30 dwellings. Hastings is a small settlement and landing on the Hudson, 2 miles below Dobbs' Ferry, 3 miles east of Tarrytown, is the small village of Greensburgh, where there is a store, a tavern, a few neat dwellings, and a Presbyterian church, in whose cemetery rest the remains of Isaac Van Wart, one of the captors of Andre; over which is a marble monument, consisting of a base and pyramid; with the following inscription: "Here repose the mortal remains of Isaac Van Wart, an elder of the Greenburgh church, who died on the 23d of May, 1828, in the 69th year of his age. Having lived the life, he died the death of the Christian. The citizens of the county of Westchester erected this tomb, in testimony of the high sense they entertained for the virtuous and patriotic conduct of their fellow citizen, and as a memorial sacred to public gratitude. Vincit Amor Patriae. Nearly half a century before this monument was built, the conscript fathers of America had, in the senate chamber, voted that Isaac Van Wart was a faithful patriot...one in whom the love of country was invincible, and this tomb bears testimony that the record is true. Fidelity. On the 23d of September, 1780, Isaac Van Wart accompanied by John Paulding and David Williams, all farmers of the county of Westchester, intercepted Major Andre on his return from the American lines in the character of a spy, and notwithstanding the large bribes offered them for his release, nobly disdained to sacrifice their country for gold, secured and carried him to the commanding officer of the district, whereby the dangerous and traitorous conspiracy of Arnold was brought to light, the insidious designs of the enemy baffled, the American army saved, and our beloved country freed."

    Harrison - History published 1841
    "Harrison is 28 miles N. of New York and 3 east of White Plains. Pop. 1,139. This is a fertile township, mostly inhabited by Friends,. Harrison Purchase is a thickly settled agricultural vicinage, where is located a meetinghouse and a post-office."

    Lewisboro - History published 1841
    "Lewisboro, originally South Salem received its present name in 1840; centrally distant NE. from Bedford 6, and from New York 50 miles. Pop. 1,169. Cross River, South Salem, Vista, and Golden's Bride, are names of the post-offices. At Cross River there are 2 churches and about 20 dwellings."

    "Sarah Bishop, the hermitess, resided near the boundary line of Lewisboro and the state of Connecticut. She lived on Long Island at the time of the revolutionary war. Her father's house was burnt by the British, and she was cruelly treated by a British officer. She then left society and wandered among the mountains near this part of the state, where she found a cave near Ridgefield, in which she resided till about the time of her death, which took place in 1810. She sometimes came down to the adjoining town of Ridgefield, Conn., to attend public worship on the Sabbath. It is said that the wild animals were so accustomed to see her, that they were not afraid of her presence."

    Mamaroneck - History published 1841
    "Mamaroneck has a hilly surface and the township is generally under good cultivation. Pop. 1,416. The village of Mamaroneck is about 24 miles from New York, and 161 from Albany. It is situated on a bay about one mil from the sound, which admits vessels of 100 tons burden. The village contains 2 churches, 2 cotton factories, and bout 50 dwellings."

    Mount Pleasant - History published 1841
    "Mount Pleasant is a large and fine township, diversified with hills and valleys. Pop. 7,308. Beds of marble abound in this vicinity, and are extensively quarried at Sing Sing and other places. Sing Sing, Pleasantville, Sparta, and Unionville are villages. The village of Sing Sing, 34 miles from New York, and 111 from Albany, was incorporated in 1813. The name Sing Sing is derived from the Chinese Tsingsing, the title of a celebrated governor, in China, of a city so called. It is said to have been brought to this country by a Dutch settler who had traded with China. The village is situated on an uneven spot of ground, and is quite diversified in its appearance; and is a thriving place, having 4 churches, an academy for males, an institution for females, a number of mills, and upwards of 200 dwellings. The State Prison on the bank of the Hudson River in Sing Sing village, usually contains from 800 to 900 convicts."

    New Castle - History published 1841
    "Newcastle was organized from Northcastle in 1791; from New York N. 37, from Bedford W. 6 miles. Pop. 1,529. Newcastle is a small post village, in the northeast angle of the town."

    New Rochelle - History published 1841
    "New Rochelle is situated on Long Island sound, 20 miles northeast of New York. Pop. 1,816 Settlements were early made in this town by Huguenots, who fled from France after the repeal of the edict of Nantz. The village of New Rochelle is delightfully situated in sight of the sound, on the turnpike road from New York to Connecticut, and contains 4 churches, several hotels, and about 60 dwellings. There is a small settlement at the landing on the sound containing an elegant hotel."

    North Castle - History published 1841
    "Northcastle is 36 miles NE. from New York, and centrally distant 5 SW. of Bedford. Pop. 2,058. Northcastle is a post-office, around which there is a small settlement."

    North Salem - History published 1841
    "North Salem is in the NE. corner of the county, 55 miles from New York, and 12 from Bedford. Pop. 1,161. North Salem, post village, has 3 churches, several mills and stores, and in its vicinity about 40 dwellings."

    Pelham - History published 1841
    "Pelham is situated on the sound, 18 miles NE. from New York. Pop. 789."

    Pikesville Village - History published 1841
    "Pikesville Village was incorporated in 1826. It is situated 12 miles north of Sing Sing, and immediately south of the southern termination of the highlands. An old engraving of Peekskill shows: The old Dutch Reformed and the Episcopal church are visible on the right; the Methodist and the Presbyterian church, having a small tower, are on the left. The elevated spire of the new Dutch Reformed church is in the central part of the view. Hudson River, with the towering highlands, is seen in the distance. The village represented is situated on an elevation 200 feet above the level of the river, half a mile from the landing, on both sides of a deep ravine. There are in the village a bank, 2 printing offices, 2 large iron foundries, etc. There is an academy, a large edifice, situated on a commanding eminence at the south. The village contains upwards of 200 dwellings and 2 churches for Friends, besides those mention above. There is a steamboat ferry at this place to Caldwell's landing, on the opposite side of the Hudson, two miles distant. Verplank's point and Continental village, places distinguished in the revolutionary war, are within the limits of this town. This latter place, which had barracks for 2,000 men, was burnt by the British in October, 1777."

    Port Chester - History published 1841
    "Port Chester, first known as Saw Log Swampt and later as Saw Pit, was settled about 1650. Port Chester, post village, is on the New York and Connecticut turnpike, and west side of Byram River, which is here the boundary line of Connecticut and New York; it is pleasantly situated, and contains 3 churches, and about 100 dwellings. This place possesses a convenient landing for steamboats and sloops."

    Poundridge - History published 1841
    "Poundridge is situated 4 miles E. from Bedford. Pop. 1,407. Poundridge, post village, centrally situated, contains 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist Episcopal church, and about 15 dwellings."

    Rye - History published 1841
    "Rye, the southeast town of the county, is distant from New York 26 miles. Pop. 1,803. The village of Rye, on the New York turnpike, 1 mile from the sound, contains 3 churches, 2 academies, and about 30 dwellings. The old Jay Mansion is situated in the western part of the town."

    Scarsdale - History published 1841
    "Scarsdale is 24 miles from New York, and 3 S. of White Plains. Pop. 255."

    Sleepy Hollow - History published 1841
    "The famous Sleepy Hollow, the noted location described in the "Sketch Book" by Washington Irving, is situated in the south part of this township, near Tarrytown; it is a long ravine of 2 or 3 miles, through which a road passes on which is situated several romantic dwellings. The Old Dutch Reformed church is situated in the southern part of Tarrytown, about a mile north of the place where Andre (the British spy) was taken in Tarrytown. It is believed to be the oldest church now standing in the state. A tablet placed on the church bears the inscription, "Erected and built by Frederick Philips and Catharine Van Cortlandt, his wife, in 1699." The pulpit and communion table were brought from Holland at the time of the erection of the church. The building has latterly undergone some repairs internally and externally, by which it has lost considerable of its venerable appearance. Unfortunately, the pulpit has not escaped the hand of modern innovation, but the communion table still remains unchanged, a venerable relic of a former age. This church and vicinity has been made celebrated by Irving's well-known "Legend of Sleepy Hollow"."

      "The sequestered situation of this church," says the author of this legend, "seem always to have made it a favorite haunt of troubled spirits. It stands on a knoll surrounded by locust trees and lofty elms, from among which its decent whitewashed walls shine modestly forth like Christian purity beaming through the shades or retirement. A gentle slope descends from it to a silver sheet of water, bordered by high trees, between which, peeps may be caught at the blue hills of the Hudson. To look upon its grass-grown yard, where the sunbeams seem to sleep so quietly, one would think that there at least the dead might rest in peace. On one side of the church extends a wide woody dell, along which laves a large brook among broken rocks and trunks of fallen trees. Over a deep black part of the stream, not far from the church, was formerly thrown a wooden bridge; the road that led to it and the bridge itself were thickly shaded overhanging trees, which cast a gloom about it even in the daytime, but occasioned a fearful darkness at night."

      "It was in this church that the never-to-be-forgotten Yankee pedagogue Ichabod Crane, in rivalry to the old Domine, led off the choir, making the welkin ring with the notes of his nasal psalmody. It was too in the ravine just back of the church, that this redoubtable hero, Ichabod, had his fearful midnight encounter with the headless horseman, and forever disappeared from the sight of the goodly inhabitants of Sleepy Hollow."

    Somers - History published 1841
    "Somers is on the north line of the county, 50 miles NE. of New York, and 10 east of Peekskill. Pop. 2,082. Somers is a neat post village, containing 2 churches and about 40 dwellings. Owensville is a post village, where there are located several factories and about 30 dwellings."

    Tarrytown - History published 1841
    "Tarrytown is pleasantly situated 28 miles N. of New York, on an elevation overlooking the Hudson River, opposite the widest part of Tappan bay. The village contains 4 churches, 80 or 90 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants. Situated about one fourth of a mile N. of the village, Andre was taken prisoner, in September 1780, by three militiamen. The three were playing cards in the field which was then covered with trees and shrubbery, when their attention was arrested by the clattering of a horse's hoofs over a wooden bridge. They left their cards, and arrested Andre. The annexed account of the taking of Andre, is from a manuscript in the possession f Isaac H. Tiffany, Esq. being the notes of a personal conversation which he had with David Williams, one of the actors in the scene at Broome, Schoharie county, Feb. 13, 1817."

    White Plains - History published 1841
    "White Plains has a hilly, but mostly an arable soil, well adapted for grazing. Pop. 1,087. The half-shire village of White Plains is situated on the old post road to Boston, 27 miles NE. from New York, 125 from Albany, and 14 miles SW. from Bedford. It contains 2 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Baptist church, the county buildings, an academy, 70 or 80 dwellings, and about 550 inhabitants."

    Yonkers - History published 1841
    "Yonkers is centrally distant 16 miles N. of New York. Pop. 2,968. Yonkers village, formerly called Philipsburg, is situated upon the Hudson, and contains 2 churches, a female seminary, and about 50 dwellings. This place is a favorite summer resort for the citizens of New York. Kingsbridge, 13 miles N. of the city hall, New York, is on Spuyten Duyvel creek, or Harlem River, and contains about a dozen dwellings. The bridge at this place is of wood, about 60 feet long. This neighborhood was the scene of important military operations during the revolution."

    Yorktown - History published 1841
    "Yorktown is 45 miles N. of New York, and 6 E. of Peekskill. Pop.2,819. Crompond is a small village containing 2 churches and about a dozen dwellings. The names of the post offices are Yorktown, Pine Bride, and Shrub Oak. Through the south part flows the Croton River, where is located the great dam and reservoir for the Croton aqueduct. This river was named after an ancient sachem, Croton, who resided on its banks at the first settlement of the country."




Top of Page