WestchesterTowns.com Westchester Towns
Westchester Towns WestchesterTowns.com

Restaurant Features

Westchester County

Ardsley Restaurant Features | Westchester Ardsley
      [7 listings over 6 categories]
Armonk Restaurant Features | Westchester Armonk
      [14 listings over 9 categories]
Bedford Hills Restaurant Features | Westchester Bedford Hills
      [7 listings over 7 categories]
Bedford Village Restaurant Features | Westchester Bedford Village
      [8 listings over 9 categories]
Briarcliff Manor Restaurant Features | Westchester Briarcliff Manor
      [11 listings over 10 categories]
Bronxville Restaurant Features | Westchester Bronxville
      [19 listings over 10 categories]
Chappaqua Restaurant Features | Westchester Chappaqua
      [9 listings over 8 categories]
Cortlandt Manor Restaurant Features | Westchester Cortlandt Manor
      [5 listings over 8 categories]
Crompond Restaurant Features | Westchester Crompond
      [1 listing over 1 category]
Cross River Restaurant Features | Westchester Cross River
      [3 listings over 4 categories]
Croton Falls Restaurant Features | Westchester Croton Falls
      [2 listings over 4 categories]
Croton-on-Hudson Restaurant Features | Westchester Croton-on-Hudson
      [12 listings over 7 categories]
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant Features | Westchester Dobbs Ferry
      [15 listings over 9 categories]
Eastchester Restaurant Features | Westchester Eastchester
      [7 listings over 3 categories]
Elmsford Restaurant Features | Westchester Elmsford
      [12 listings over 8 categories]
Granite Springs Restaurant Features | Westchester Granite Springs
      [1 listing over 3 categories]
Greenburgh Restaurant Features | Westchester Greenburgh
      [1 listing over 1 category]
Harrison Restaurant Features | Westchester Harrison
      [14 listings over 8 categories]
Hartsdale Restaurant Features | Westchester Hartsdale
      [21 listings over 10 categories]
Hastings-on-Hudson Restaurant Features | Westchester Hastings-on-Hudson
      [7 listings over 8 categories]
Hawthorne Restaurant Features | Westchester Hawthorne
      [6 listings over 9 categories]
Irvington-on-Hudson Restaurant Features | Westchester Irvington-on-Hudson
      [11 listings over 11 categories]
Jefferson Valley Restaurant Features | Westchester Jefferson Valley
      [1 listing over 1 category]
Katonah Restaurant Features | Westchester Katonah
      [8 listings over 7 categories]
Lake Mohegan Restaurant Features | Westchester Lake Mohegan
      [9 listings over 9 categories]
Larchmont Restaurant Features | Westchester Larchmont
      [24 listings over 11 categories]
Mamaroneck Restaurant Features | Westchester Mamaroneck
      [30 listings over 9 categories]
Millwood Restaurant Features | Westchester Millwood
      [1 listing over 1 category]
Montrose Restaurant Features | Westchester Montrose
      [1 listing over 3 categories]
Mount Kisco Restaurant Features | Westchester Mount Kisco
      [35 listings over 12 categories]
Mount Vernon Restaurant Features | Westchester Mount Vernon
      [7 listings over 6 categories]
New Rochelle Restaurant Features | Westchester New Rochelle
      [38 listings over 12 categories]
North Salem Restaurant Features | Westchester North Salem
      [3 listings over 6 categories]
North White Plains Restaurant Features | Westchester North White Plains
      [2 listings over 2 categories]
Ossining Restaurant Features | Westchester Ossining
      [9 listings over 8 categories]
Peekskill Restaurant Features | Westchester Peekskill
      [20 listings over 12 categories]
Pelham Restaurant Features | Westchester Pelham
      [12 listings over 8 categories]
Pelham Manor Restaurant Features | Westchester Pelham Manor
      [1 listing over 2 categories]
Pleasantville Restaurant Features | Westchester Pleasantville
      [17 listings over 8 categories]
Pocantico Hills Restaurant Features | Westchester Pocantico Hills
      [2 listings over 5 categories]
Port Chester Restaurant Features | Westchester Port Chester
      [34 listings over 12 categories]
Pound Ridge Restaurant Features | Westchester Pound Ridge
      [5 listings over 7 categories]
Purchase Restaurant Features | Westchester Purchase
      [4 listings over 3 categories]
Purdy's Restaurant Features | Westchester Purdy's
      [1 listing over 1 category]
Rye Restaurant Features | Westchester Rye
      [18 listings over 12 categories]
Rye Brook Restaurant Features | Westchester Rye Brook
      [12 listings over 11 categories]
Scarborough Restaurant Features | Westchester Scarborough
      [1 listing over 2 categories]
Scarsdale Restaurant Features | Westchester Scarsdale
      [30 listings over 12 categories]
Scotts Corners Restaurant Features | Westchester Scotts Corners
      [5 listings over 5 categories]
Shrub Oak Restaurant Features | Westchester Shrub Oak
      [2 listings over 2 categories]
Sleepy Hollow Restaurant Features | Westchester Sleepy Hollow
      [6 listings over 6 categories]
Somers Restaurant Features | Westchester Somers
      [12 listings over 8 categories]
South Salem Restaurant Features | Westchester South Salem
      [5 listings over 8 categories]
Tarrytown Restaurant Features | Westchester Tarrytown
      [27 listings over 13 categories]
Thornwood Restaurant Features | Westchester Thornwood
      [11 listings over 8 categories]
Tuckahoe Restaurant Features | Westchester Tuckahoe
      [12 listings over 9 categories]
Valhalla Restaurant Features | Westchester Valhalla
      [4 listings over 6 categories]
Verplanck Restaurant Features | Westchester Verplanck
      [1 listing over 1 category]
West Harrison Restaurant Features | Westchester West Harrison
      [1 listing over 2 categories]
White Plains Restaurant Features | Westchester White Plains
      [79 listings over 13 categories]
Yonkers Restaurant Features | Westchester Yonkers
      [60 listings over 13 categories]
Yorktown Heights Restaurant Features | Westchester Yorktown Heights
      [17 listings over 12 categories]
Catering | Restaurant Caterers Catering | Restaurant Caterers
      [493 listings over 58 locations]
Family Restaurants Family Restaurants
      [224 listings over 44 locations]
Fireplace Fireplace
      [27 listings over 20 locations]
Gluten-Free Options Gluten-Free Options
      [45 listings over 26 locations]
Grass-Fed Options | Organic Options Grass-Fed Options | Organic Options
      [76 listings over 33 locations]
Healthy Food Options Healthy Food Options
      [80 listings over 35 locations]
Music 'Live' | Live Music Music 'Live' | Live Music
      [97 listings over 38 locations]
Open Late | Late Hours Open Late | Late Hours
      [70 listings over 26 locations]
Outdoor Dining Outdoor Dining
      [246 listings over 51 locations]
Pet Friendly Restaurants | Dogs Allowed Pet Friendly Restaurants | Dogs Allowed
      [5 listings over 2 locations]
Small Plates (Tapas) Small Plates (Tapas)
      [34 listings over 20 locations]
Sunday Brunch Sunday Brunch
      [127 listings over 43 locations]
Waterfront Dining Waterfront Dining
      [17 listings over 11 locations]
WiFi = Free WiFi = Free
      [94 listings over 35 locations]

Restaurant Features

Westchester County

Learn about Westchester County history and its role in the American Revolution, the arrival of the railroads in the 1840s and more. Also read "History and Antiquities", a general collection of interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, and anecdotes about Westchester County and its towns.

Westchester County
Westchester County occupies a 450 square-mile area bounded on the west by the Hudson River, on the north by Putnam County, on the east by Fairfield County, Connecticut, and the Long Island Sound, and on the south by the Borough of the Bronx, New York City. The county has an estimated 1998 total population of about 897,920 persons, a 2.6 percent increase from 1990, and encompasses six cities, 14 towns, and 23 villages. The majority of the principal roadways and all the railroad lines in Westchester run north to south, following the orientation of the river valleys. Residential development has historically followed this pattern, spreading north as densities increased in the South and Central County areas. Over all travel patterns are primarily north to south because of the concentration of employment centers in New York City and southern and central Westchester. However, within some towns such as Cortlandt, travel patterns are often east west to access major traffic arterials.

Westchester County generally exhibits a beautiful diversity of surface. The northwestern corner is considerably broken by the south east border of the Highlands, of a mountain character, and a range of hills of moderate height extends from York Island towards the north east extremity on which are situated the heights and hills much known in the revolution. Based upon primitive rock, the soil is naturally sterile, but is rendered productive by careful and painful cultivation.

For the most part, the communities in Northern Westchester are less densely populated and have less commercial development than those in central and Southern Westchester. Urban development in the North County area is generally confined to historic transportation corridors along the Hudson River, the New York to Albany rail line, and the Route 9 highway, the old New York to Albany Post Road. The eastern part of the North County area, including the Towns of North Salem, Lewisboro, and Pound Ridge, tends to be less developed than the western part.

Westchester History
Before the days of railroads or highways, Westchester had the trade routes of the Hudson River and Long Island Sound; later, in the 18th century, the primitive post roads to Albany and Boston were cut through Westchester's rolling, wooded hills.

When New York City's population boomed after the 1825 completion of the Erie Canal, Westchester furnished many of the city's raw and finished goods. Iron foundries were located throughout the county, and Westchester's numerous brickyards and marble quarries provided the materials for the thousands of row houses and monumental new institutional buildings spreading across Manhattan. When Newgate Prison in Greenwich Village was no longer adequate, it was replaced in 1828 by Sing Sing, "up the river" in Westchester County. When a reliable and clean source of drinking water was needed, New Yorkers looked to Westchester, where the Croton Dam was completed in 1842. Today, the county is still a vital link in the New York City water supply system.

In the 1840s, the railroads came. In 1844, the New York and Harlem Railroad reached White Plains; the New York and Hudson River line was completed to Peekskill in 1849. That year, the New York and New Haven opened its route through eastern Westchester. Soon thereafter, population began to shift from the northern half of Westchester to the south, clustering around railroad stations. All three railroads, which now originate from Manhattan's Grand Central Terminal, are operated by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, and are heavily used by commuters.

The railroads' effectiveness at stimulating development was seen in the establishment of Mount Vernon, which is located between New Rochelle and Yonkers and, like the other two, borders the Bronx on its south. Unlike Yonkers or New Rochelle, which date back as communities to the 17th century, Mount Vernon, "was a new idea - a community of people who were economically dependent on [New York City], and who would be traveling back and forth every day - a commuter suburb." Together, in 1851, a group of skilled tradesmen affiliated with "Mechanics Mutual Protection No. 11" in New York City purchased five farms totaling 369 acres, and subdivided them according to a grid plan. The leader of the group, John Stevens, saw the endeavor as a means of improving the condition of New York's working class by freeing it from rent payments and enabling it to enter the class of property owners. Mount Vernon was incorporated as a village in 1852, and rapidly grew to become a city 40 years later.

Between 1865 and 1920, Westchester's population boomed, multiplying from about 100,000 to almost 350,000. During the 1920s, the county's growth became channeled along the routes of its new automobile parkways, the finest highway system in America. Following the 1925 completion of the Bronx River Parkway, the world's first limited-access public motor-route, Westchester built a highway system that was second to none, much of it funded by projected increases in real estate valuations. Development, largely consisting of single-family homes along the parkways' edges, boomed.

Linked by the new highways was an equally impressive system of golf courses and lush county parks. Among these was New Rochelle's Glen Island, taken over in 1925 by Westchester County, and famous in the 1930s for the appearance of prominent big bands at its Casino; and Playland, a model amusement park completed by Westchester County in 1927. Rye Playland, now on the National Register of Historic Places, is still operated by county government. Amenities such as these earned Westchester a reputation as the nation's most desirable suburb.

Westchester's prosperity was underscored by the decision of many New York department stores to open branches in the county beginning in the 1930s. B. Altman opened its White Plains store in 1934; Arnold Constable followed, in New Rochelle, in 1937. Lord & Taylor completed its Eastchester store in 1949, the same year that Macy's opened in White Plains. In 1953, General Foods became the first of many corporations to leave behind its Manhattan headquarters for a new suburban campus, in White Plains, seen at right. The section of Westchester Avenue near White Plains, a major headquarters location, has since become known as the "Platinum Mile."

Westchester Today
Westchester remains a major center of corporate headquarters, excellent schools, beautiful parks, cultural activities and much more - all adding to an ideal standard of living. School drop-out rates in the county are a scant 1.5%, and 80% to 90% of students continue their educations past high school.

    History from 1920-1983 Written by: Susan Cochran Swanson and Elizabeth Green Fuller and may be viewed in its entirety on the www.WestchesterGov.com/history page.

    The Depression drove many farmers out of business and the dairy farms began to break up as competition from other areas lowered the demand for Westchester farm products. Rising land taxes and falling profits led most of the remaining farmers to sell out to real estate developers after World War II. In 1964, 18,500 acres were farmed in Westchester. Ten years later only 9,000 acres were farmed.

    South of White Plains, the few remaining farms disappeared rapidly after 1920 as suburbanization began in earnest. William L. Ward influenced the County Board of Supervisors to create the Westchester County Planning Commission and gathered a team of county citizens to carry out his dream of developing Westchester into a suburban paradise. An overall plan for golf courses, parkways, and recreational areas created a network of beautiful open areas throughout the county.

    The Bronx River Parkway is credited as the highway that opened up Westchester. It had been begun in 1906 as part of the project to clean up the Bronx River, which had become a badly contaminated eyesore by the turn of the century. In the process of building the parkway, the Bronx River bed was cleaned and dredged, 30,000 trees and 140,000 shrubs were planted, and paths and benches for the public were set among the trees and lakes. When it opened in 1925 the Bronx River Parkway drew worldwide attention to Westchester County.

    The Bronx River Parkway was followed by the Saw Mill River Parkway, the Hutchinson River Parkway, the Taconic Parkway, and the Cross County Parkway, all completed by the 1930s. The scenic beauty of Westchester's parkways is still fresh fifty years later. The next major road construction did not take place until the 1950s and 1960s, when the interstate expressways and thruways were built.

    The parkways brought many young, middle-class executives and professionals to Westchester to buy new homes being erected on old estates. The prosperity of the post-war period put cash in the pockets of many young families. They invested in real estate, which rapidly increased in value. Buying a home became the goal of everyone who could afford it.

    Transportation was developed to accommodate the growing population. Local roads were paved, traffic regulations developed, and traffic lights installed. As the roadways improved, buses replaced the old trolley system. The Toonerville Trolley of Pelham made its last run in 1937; the Westchester bus system had replaced it.

    As suburban towns grew, men and women organized a variety of social, cultural, and educational organizations. Women also nurtured the arts and other cultural activities. Membership in womens' clubs and service organizations became an integral part of the suburban life that emerged in Westchester during the 1920s and continues into the 1980s.

    People enjoyed many leisure activities in Westchester during the period between the world wars. Among the achievements of William Ward and the parks commission was the creation of an overall plan for recreational areas in the county. Rye Playland Amusement Park opened to acclaim in 1928. Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, Croton Point Park, Glen Island Park, and Kingsland Point Park were also developed by the county for the public. In 1930 the County Center was opened in White Plains as an all-purpose convention space for exhibits and events.

    Armonk Airport was a great recreational attraction in the late 1920s and 1930s. People came from miles around to watch the planes and barnstormers. Roadside stands and the Log Cabin Restaurant catered to the crowds. Residents still recall the phenomenal traffic jams along Bedford Road.

    The entertainment industry had a brief moment of glory in Westchester when D. W. Griffith operated his movie studio complex on Orienta Point in Mamaroneck. The Gish sisters, Mary Pickford, and many other famous movie stars of the day were filmed in the Griffith studios and also on location around the county. Legitimate theater also took precarious hold on Westchester soil. The Lawrence family opened the Lawrence Farms Theatre, the first summer-stock theater in Westchester, in a barn on the former Moses Taylor estate in Mount Kisco. Day Tuttle and Richard Skinner leased the barn in 1932, and throughout the 1930s great actors and actresses like Tallulah Bankhead, Henry Fonda, and Margaret Sullivan appeared there.

    The Depression hit Westchester as badly as it did the rest of the nation. Communities rallied to provide support for the unemployed. Many of the work projects sponsored by the federal government are still enjoyed by county residents today.

    The period between the wars saw a number of new businesses arriving in Westchester. When B. Altman's opened a branch in White Plains in 1934, it was the first major New York department store to come to Westchester. Best and Company, Peck and Peck, and Sloane's followed in the 1940s, and White Plains became the major shopping center in Westchester County. The man credited with this development of "Little Fifth Avenue" was Leonard H. Davidow, who set a high standard of excellence in his dealings.

    The Reader's Digest developed into a major publishing concern in Pleasantville during the 1930s. When the magazine outgrew its rented office space in Pleasantville, it built a spectacular colonial-style headquarters which still dominates a hill overlooking the Saw Mill River Parkway in Chappaqua.

    During World War II the county once again rallied for the war effort. General Motors manufactured airplane parts, Norden bomb sights were made in White Plains, and the Alexander Smith Carpet Mills turned out tents and uniforms for the armed forces. Westchester residents enthusiastically supported scrap-iron drives for Britain in 1940. Then after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941, they sent their men and boys overseas to join the Allied forces. On the home front men and women worked in the factories, joined the Civil Defense League, watched for enemy planes, and took first aid classes to be prepared in case of an enemy attack. Many took British and French children into their homes. They bought war bonds and endured the inconveniences of food and gas rationing. Then on VJ Day, August 5, 1945, it was over, and Westchester joined the rest of the nation in parades and celebrations of joy.

    The post-World War II period of the 1950s was one of prosperity and optimism. Veterans returned home, married, entered the job market, and raised large families. The baby boom was on, and Westchester responded to it by building high-rise apartments, single-family homes, and schools. Ranch homes, split levels, and clapboard and stone colonials filled up the vacant lots in lower Westchester. North of White Plains, developers built hundreds of new homes in the fields and woods of the old farms.

    One of the characteristics of suburban life in the 1950s was its focus on children and the family. A wide range of social, cultural, and sports activities was developed for young people. It seemed as if parents who had endured the Depression as children and the war as young adults wanted their own children to experience a full life. Families barbecued, camped, and played together. Country clubs, which had catered primarily to golf and tennis playing adults in earlier years, built swimming pools and offered competitive swimming, diving, and tennis programs for members' children.

    Women in the 1950s and 1960s generally preferred to work before their children were born and, if necessary, after they were grown. However, many middle-class women did not need to work and hoped to marry soon after finishing their education. Women continued to spend the majority of their time caring for their homes and children. Social, cultural, and service clubs filled their leisure hours and satisfied their need for companionship during the day.

    Since 1960 the arts have received increasing attention from the Westchester community. An educated population offered support and volunteer time to help promote historical and art museums and the performing arts. The Katonah Gallery is an outstanding example of a professional and volunteer staff working closely together to create highly professional art exhibits and programs for the public and for the schools. Many communities have active arts councils as well as private schools of dance, music, and art. In 1965 the Council of the Arts of Westchester was founded to provide funds for arts groups and promote the arts in Westchester. Corporations have led the fund raising efforts of the Council of the Arts. PepsiCo, Inc., in cooperation with the State University of New York at Purchase, created the outstanding Summerfare program which brings world-famous musical, theater, and dance groups to the SUNY Purchase campus in July and August.

    The relocation to Westchester of several corporate headquarters during the decades after World War II had a major impact on the county. General Foods was the first, in 1953, followed by Ciba-Geigy, in 1956, and Nestle, in 1958. In the 1960s and 1970s many factors combined to influence the corporate giants to move their vast operations to Westchester. They had the opportunity to build their own facilities, an available work force, and the interstate road system; Westchester County Airport made the county easily accessible to the rest of the northeast.

    The handsome architecture and landscaping of many of the corporate buildings make a significant contribution to the beauty of the county. In several instances, major architectural talents have been engaged to design buildings for such corporations as Union Carbide, Frank B. Hall, IBM. World Trade Americas/Far East, and PepsiCo. Their landscaped settings have provided Westchester with acres of parkland that complement the parks and parkways built in the 1920s.

    In recent years, many business areas in Westchester have undergone extensive revitalization. White Plains, Yonkers and Peekskill, for instance, have undergone vast changes. Although there are many new buildings being built in Westchester today, there is a significant movement to retain fine old ones, and many landmarks have been renovated to be used as schools, colleges, and business offices. The Westchester Preservation League has worked with both individuals and municipalities to create historic districts and to save worthy buildings.

    Private foundations have generously donated funds for historic preservation. None has done more than the Rockefeller family. Their creation of Sleepy Hollow Restorations has preserved Van Cortlandt Manor, Philipsburgh Manor, and Sunnyside. Local efforts by non-profit historical societies and town historians continue to keep Westchester's heritage alive through historical museums, library collections, programs, and events.

    Government agencies have also supported the historic preservation of Lyndhurst, Philipse Manor Hall in Yonkers, and the John Jay Homestead. In October 1981 the county of Westchester was bequeathed the beautiful estate, Merestead, in Mount Kisco, by Mrs. Margaret Sloane Patterson. In 1983, Westchester County celebrated its 300th anniversary. Residents can look with pride at the past 300 years and, with that rich heritage behind them, look with confidence to the next 300 years.

History And Antiquities
The following covers "History and Antiquities", a general collection of interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, and anecdotes about Westchester County and its towns. When reading the following, remember to keep in mind that this information has been written about two hundred years ago. Population statistics and events have not been revised to reflect current events and perspective. We think this adds to the historical flavor and interest of the writings, giving a different perspective on much of this information and written in an "older world" writing style. The following write-up is taken, in part, from: "Historical Collections of the State of New York, Published by S. Tuttle, 194 Chatham-Square, 1841

    1642 - "Westchester has an uneven surface, and a soil which will sustain a high degree of cultivation. Pop. 4,154. This town was probably first settled in 1642, by a Mr. Throckmorton and 35 associates, who came from New England with the approbation of the Dutch authorities. It was called by the Dutch, Eastdorp. The manor of Morrisiana, originally containing about 3,000 acres, belongs to the distinguished family of Morris; it is in the SW. corner of the town, opposite Hell Gate. This manor gave name to a town from 1788 to 1791, part of the present town of Westchester. Westchester village, at the head of navigation of Westchester creek, 2 miles from the sound, and 14 NE. from New York, contains about 50 dwellings. West Farms, on the Bronx River at the head of navigation, 3 miles from the sound and 12 from New York, contains about 60 dwellings."

    1683 - "Westchester County, established November 1, 1683. Westchester, a residential county made up of many suburban communities, more than half the people live in the four cities of Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle and White Plains... The first settlement in this region was called Westchester from which the county took its name. This community, now in the Bronx, served as county seat until 1759, when a courthouse was built at White Plains. Here on July 9, 1776, the fourth Provincial Congress met to consider the Declaration of Independence. It was immediately adopted and two days later read from the courthouse steps. Today's courthouse is the fourth at White Plains. A courthouse built at Bedford after the Revolution was abandoned in 1870 although the building is still standing."

    1691 - "Westchester County is of ancient date. It was represented in the first legislative assembly in the colony, which met at New York in 1691. And it has constituted one county to this time, having been organized as such by the general acts of 1788 and 1801. This county comprises a very important section of the state."

    "Washed on the west by the Hudson, and on the south by the East river and Long Island sound, it enjoys very superior advantages for trade and commerce. The county general exhibits a beautiful diversity of surface, The northwester corner of Westchester County is considerably broken the SE border of the Highlands, of a mountain character, and a range of hills of moderate height extends from York Island towards the NE extremity, on which are situated the heights and hills much known in the revolution. Based upon primitive rock, the soil is naturally sterile, but is rendered productive by careful and painful cultivation. Of wheat it produces little, and the inhabitants import a large portion of their breadstuffs. Summer crops are good, and by the use of plaster, valuable returns in grass are obtained. The chief business of the inhabitants consists in supplying New York City with garden stuffs, field vegetables, butter, poultry, etc.

    This county suffered severely during the revolution. The whole southern part was marked by the marches, works of defense, or skirmishes and battles of hostile armies. And, indeed, the active operations of the war in 1776, were principally confined to this region, and in the autumn to this county. where the two armies were in full force, constantly on the alert, and under the eyes of their respective commanders. The county is divided into 21 towns, all of which were organized under the act of March 7th, 1788, excepting New Castle. Population 48,687."

    Bedford - History published 1841

    "Bedford, from New York NE, 44 miles, was first settled under a Connecticut license in 1681 or 1682, at a place called the hop-ground, on account of its natural product. The original patent, dated 1697, bears the Connecticut seal, and it was not until 1700 that the settlement was attached to New York by order of King William. Bedford, the half-shire town, has a courthouse and about 45 dwellings. Whitlockville is a small village."

      First Chief-Justice of the United States
      "John Jay during the latter part of his life resided in the northern part of this town. The annexed sketch of his life is from Blake's Biographical Dictionary: "John Jay, LL.D., first chief-justice of the United States under the constitution of 1789, graduated at Kings, (now Columbia College) in 1764 and in 1768 was admitted to the bar. He was appointed to the first American congress in 1774. Being on the committee with Lee and Livingston to draft an address to the people of Great Britain, he was the writer of the eloquent production. In the congress of 1775, he was on various important committees, performing more service perhaps than any other member except Franklin and John Adams. In May, 1776, he was recalled to assist in forming the government of New York, and in consequence his name is not attached to the declaration of Independence... though not a member of the convention that formed the constitution of the United States, he was present at Annapolis and aided by his advice. He also assisted Madison and Hamilton in writing the Federalist. In the convention of New York he contributed to the adoption of the constitution. He was appointed chief justice by Washington, December 26, 1789. In 1794, he was appointed minister plenipotentiary to Great Britain, and succeeded in negotiating the treaty, which still goes, by his name. Chief-Justice John Jay was governor of the state of New York from 1795 to 1801. The remainder of his life passed in retirement. He died in 1829, aged 84."

    Cortland - History published 1841
    "The surface of this town on the north is covered by the highlands, and has some lofty summits, the principal of which is the Kleberg and Anthony's nose. The town has a considerable portion of arable land. Pop. 5,592. Croton and Cortland town are small post villages."

    East Chester - History published 1841
    "The village of East Chester is situated at the head of a bay on Long Island sound, 16 miles NE. from New York, on the old turnpike and stage road to Boston, and contains an Episcopal church and about 25 dwellings. Bronx is the name of a small settlement and post-office in the northern part of the town, in the vicinity of which are valuable marble quarries. Pop. 1,502."

    Greenburgh - History published 1841
    "Greenburgh is pleasantly situated on the Hudson, 22 miles N. of the city of New York. Pop. 3,361. On the banks of the river are splendid sites for country residences, many of which are occupied by the wealthy. About two miles below the village of Tarrytown, beautifully situated on the Hudson, is the country residence of Washington Irving, Esq., and well known as the ‘Van Tassel’ house. Dobbs' Ferry, a noted place in the revolution, is situated on the Hudson, 22 miles N. of New York, and opposite the northern termination of the Palisades. There is here a village containing 2 churches, and about 30 dwellings. Hastings is a small settlement and landing on the Hudson, 2 miles below Dobbs' Ferry, 3 miles east of Tarrytown, is the small village of Greensburgh, where there is a store, a tavern, a few neat dwellings, and a Presbyterian church, in whose cemetery rest the remains of Isaac Van Wart, one of the captors of Andre; over which is a marble monument, consisting of a base and pyramid; with the following inscription: "Here repose the mortal remains of Isaac Van Wart, an elder of the Greenburgh church, who died on the 23d of May, 1828, in the 69th year of his age. Having lived the life, he died the death of the Christian. The citizens of the county of Westchester erected this tomb, in testimony of the high sense they entertained for the virtuous and patriotic conduct of their fellow citizen, and as a memorial sacred to public gratitude. Vincit Amor Patriae. Nearly half a century before this monument was built, the conscript fathers of America had, in the senate chamber, voted that Isaac Van Wart was a faithful patriot...one in whom the love of country was invincible, and this tomb bears testimony that the record is true. Fidelity. On the 23d of September, 1780, Isaac Van Wart accompanied by John Paulding and David Williams, all farmers of the county of Westchester, intercepted Major Andre on his return from the American lines in the character of a spy, and notwithstanding the large bribes offered them for his release, nobly disdained to sacrifice their country for gold, secured and carried him to the commanding officer of the district, whereby the dangerous and traitorous conspiracy of Arnold was brought to light, the insidious designs of the enemy baffled, the American army saved, and our beloved country freed."

    Harrison - History published 1841
    "Harrison is 28 miles N. of New York and 3 east of White Plains. Pop. 1,139. This is a fertile township, mostly inhabited by Friends,. Harrison Purchase is a thickly settled agricultural vicinage, where is located a meetinghouse and a post-office."

    Lewisboro - History published 1841
    "Lewisboro, originally South Salem received its present name in 1840; centrally distant NE. from Bedford 6, and from New York 50 miles. Pop. 1,169. Cross River, South Salem, Vista, and Golden's Bride, are names of the post-offices. At Cross River there are 2 churches and about 20 dwellings."

    "Sarah Bishop, the hermitess, resided near the boundary line of Lewisboro and the state of Connecticut. She lived on Long Island at the time of the revolutionary war. Her father's house was burnt by the British, and she was cruelly treated by a British officer. She then left society and wandered among the mountains near this part of the state, where she found a cave near Ridgefield, in which she resided till about the time of her death, which took place in 1810. She sometimes came down to the adjoining town of Ridgefield, Conn., to attend public worship on the Sabbath. It is said that the wild animals were so accustomed to see her, that they were not afraid of her presence."

    Mamaroneck - History published 1841
    "Mamaroneck has a hilly surface and the township is generally under good cultivation. Pop. 1,416. The village of Mamaroneck is about 24 miles from New York, and 161 from Albany. It is situated on a bay about one mil from the sound, which admits vessels of 100 tons burden. The village contains 2 churches, 2 cotton factories, and bout 50 dwellings."

    Mount Pleasant - History published 1841
    "Mount Pleasant is a large and fine township, diversified with hills and valleys. Pop. 7,308. Beds of marble abound in this vicinity, and are extensively quarried at Sing Sing and other places. Sing Sing, Pleasantville, Sparta, and Unionville are villages. The village of Sing Sing, 34 miles from New York, and 111 from Albany, was incorporated in 1813. The name Sing Sing is derived from the Chinese Tsingsing, the title of a celebrated governor, in China, of a city so called. It is said to have been brought to this country by a Dutch settler who had traded with China. The village is situated on an uneven spot of ground, and is quite diversified in its appearance; and is a thriving place, having 4 churches, an academy for males, an institution for females, a number of mills, and upwards of 200 dwellings. The State Prison on the bank of the Hudson River in Sing Sing village, usually contains from 800 to 900 convicts."

    New Castle - History published 1841
    "Newcastle was organized from Northcastle in 1791; from New York N. 37, from Bedford W. 6 miles. Pop. 1,529. Newcastle is a small post village, in the northeast angle of the town."

    New Rochelle - History published 1841
    "New Rochelle is situated on Long Island sound, 20 miles northeast of New York. Pop. 1,816 Settlements were early made in this town by Huguenots, who fled from France after the repeal of the edict of Nantz. The village of New Rochelle is delightfully situated in sight of the sound, on the turnpike road from New York to Connecticut, and contains 4 churches, several hotels, and about 60 dwellings. There is a small settlement at the landing on the sound containing an elegant hotel."

    North Castle - History published 1841
    "Northcastle is 36 miles NE. from New York, and centrally distant 5 SW. of Bedford. Pop. 2,058. Northcastle is a post-office, around which there is a small settlement."

    North Salem - History published 1841
    "North Salem is in the NE. corner of the county, 55 miles from New York, and 12 from Bedford. Pop. 1,161. North Salem, post village, has 3 churches, several mills and stores, and in its vicinity about 40 dwellings."

    Pelham - History published 1841
    "Pelham is situated on the sound, 18 miles NE. from New York. Pop. 789."

    Pikesville Village - History published 1841
    "Pikesville Village was incorporated in 1826. It is situated 12 miles north of Sing Sing, and immediately south of the southern termination of the highlands. An old engraving of Peekskill shows: The old Dutch Reformed and the Episcopal church are visible on the right; the Methodist and the Presbyterian church, having a small tower, are on the left. The elevated spire of the new Dutch Reformed church is in the central part of the view. Hudson River, with the towering highlands, is seen in the distance. The village represented is situated on an elevation 200 feet above the level of the river, half a mile from the landing, on both sides of a deep ravine. There are in the village a bank, 2 printing offices, 2 large iron foundries, etc. There is an academy, a large edifice, situated on a commanding eminence at the south. The village contains upwards of 200 dwellings and 2 churches for Friends, besides those mention above. There is a steamboat ferry at this place to Caldwell's landing, on the opposite side of the Hudson, two miles distant. Verplank's point and Continental village, places distinguished in the revolutionary war, are within the limits of this town. This latter place, which had barracks for 2,000 men, was burnt by the British in October, 1777."

    Port Chester - History published 1841
    "Port Chester, first known as Saw Log Swampt and later as Saw Pit, was settled about 1650. Port Chester, post village, is on the New York and Connecticut turnpike, and west side of Byram River, which is here the boundary line of Connecticut and New York; it is pleasantly situated, and contains 3 churches, and about 100 dwellings. This place possesses a convenient landing for steamboats and sloops."

    Poundridge - History published 1841
    "Poundridge is situated 4 miles E. from Bedford. Pop. 1,407. Poundridge, post village, centrally situated, contains 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist Episcopal church, and about 15 dwellings."

    Rye - History published 1841
    "Rye, the southeast town of the county, is distant from New York 26 miles. Pop. 1,803. The village of Rye, on the New York turnpike, 1 mile from the sound, contains 3 churches, 2 academies, and about 30 dwellings. The old Jay Mansion is situated in the western part of the town."

    Scarsdale - History published 1841
    "Scarsdale is 24 miles from New York, and 3 S. of White Plains. Pop. 255."

    Sleepy Hollow - History published 1841
    "The famous Sleepy Hollow, the noted location described in the "Sketch Book" by Washington Irving, is situated in the south part of this township, near Tarrytown; it is a long ravine of 2 or 3 miles, through which a road passes on which is situated several romantic dwellings. The Old Dutch Reformed church is situated in the southern part of Tarrytown, about a mile north of the place where Andre (the British spy) was taken in Tarrytown. It is believed to be the oldest church now standing in the state. A tablet placed on the church bears the inscription, "Erected and built by Frederick Philips and Catharine Van Cortlandt, his wife, in 1699." The pulpit and communion table were brought from Holland at the time of the erection of the church. The building has latterly undergone some repairs internally and externally, by which it has lost considerable of its venerable appearance. Unfortunately, the pulpit has not escaped the hand of modern innovation, but the communion table still remains unchanged, a venerable relic of a former age. This church and vicinity has been made celebrated by Irving's well-known "Legend of Sleepy Hollow"."

      "The sequestered situation of this church," says the author of this legend, "seem always to have made it a favorite haunt of troubled spirits. It stands on a knoll surrounded by locust trees and lofty elms, from among which its decent whitewashed walls shine modestly forth like Christian purity beaming through the shades or retirement. A gentle slope descends from it to a silver sheet of water, bordered by high trees, between which, peeps may be caught at the blue hills of the Hudson. To look upon its grass-grown yard, where the sunbeams seem to sleep so quietly, one would think that there at least the dead might rest in peace. On one side of the church extends a wide woody dell, along which laves a large brook among broken rocks and trunks of fallen trees. Over a deep black part of the stream, not far from the church, was formerly thrown a wooden bridge; the road that led to it and the bridge itself were thickly shaded overhanging trees, which cast a gloom about it even in the daytime, but occasioned a fearful darkness at night."

      "It was in this church that the never-to-be-forgotten Yankee pedagogue Ichabod Crane, in rivalry to the old Domine, led off the choir, making the welkin ring with the notes of his nasal psalmody. It was too in the ravine just back of the church, that this redoubtable hero, Ichabod, had his fearful midnight encounter with the headless horseman, and forever disappeared from the sight of the goodly inhabitants of Sleepy Hollow."

    Somers - History published 1841
    "Somers is on the north line of the county, 50 miles NE. of New York, and 10 east of Peekskill. Pop. 2,082. Somers is a neat post village, containing 2 churches and about 40 dwellings. Owensville is a post village, where there are located several factories and about 30 dwellings."

    Tarrytown - History published 1841
    "Tarrytown is pleasantly situated 28 miles N. of New York, on an elevation overlooking the Hudson River, opposite the widest part of Tappan bay. The village contains 4 churches, 80 or 90 dwellings, and about 1,000 inhabitants. Situated about one fourth of a mile N. of the village, Andre was taken prisoner, in September 1780, by three militiamen. The three were playing cards in the field which was then covered with trees and shrubbery, when their attention was arrested by the clattering of a horse's hoofs over a wooden bridge. They left their cards, and arrested Andre. The annexed account of the taking of Andre, is from a manuscript in the possession f Isaac H. Tiffany, Esq. being the notes of a personal conversation which he had with David Williams, one of the actors in the scene at Broome, Schoharie county, Feb. 13, 1817."

    White Plains - History published 1841
    "White Plains has a hilly, but mostly an arable soil, well adapted for grazing. Pop. 1,087. The half-shire village of White Plains is situated on the old post road to Boston, 27 miles NE. from New York, 125 from Albany, and 14 miles SW. from Bedford. It contains 2 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Baptist church, the county buildings, an academy, 70 or 80 dwellings, and about 550 inhabitants."

    Yonkers - History published 1841
    "Yonkers is centrally distant 16 miles N. of New York. Pop. 2,968. Yonkers village, formerly called Philipsburg, is situated upon the Hudson, and contains 2 churches, a female seminary, and about 50 dwellings. This place is a favorite summer resort for the citizens of New York. Kingsbridge, 13 miles N. of the city hall, New York, is on Spuyten Duyvel creek, or Harlem River, and contains about a dozen dwellings. The bridge at this place is of wood, about 60 feet long. This neighborhood was the scene of important military operations during the revolution."

    Yorktown - History published 1841
    "Yorktown is 45 miles N. of New York, and 6 E. of Peekskill. Pop.2,819. Crompond is a small village containing 2 churches and about a dozen dwellings. The names of the post offices are Yorktown, Pine Bride, and Shrub Oak. Through the south part flows the Croton River, where is located the great dam and reservoir for the Croton aqueduct. This river was named after an ancient sachem, Croton, who resided on its banks at the first settlement of the country."

Top of Page